Counter Weight

/ Counter Weight #1  

Fritzy

I need to make a counter weight, what size and how much weight would anyone suggest?

/ Counter Weight #2  
I made one with a Rubbermaid barrel and 6-7 bags of Sakrete. I also included a receiver hitch. Can send you photos if you want.

/ Counter Weight #3  
I need to make a counter weight, what size and how much weight would anyone suggest?

That would depend on a number of things. Size of your tractor being one of the biggest factors. Also, what kind of things you do with your tractor. Loader work for example would require more rear weight than you would need for a front mounted snowblower. Usually a good place to start is with the owners manual. Most of the time they will have a chart specifying max loads and capacities of the 3pt. If you can tell us a little more about your tractor, then there are probably others here that have a similar model and can help you out.

/ Counter Weight #4  
i've got one in mind i haven't started yet, but might give you some ideas

i was walking thru my local machine shop's scrap yard and found a pc of 3" thick X 17" X 14" steel - rough torch on two sides - didn't cost me a thing, and it weighs 157 lbs - i'm going to clean it up some cutting the two rough sides and reducing to approx 15 X 12 but figure i'll still have 120+ lbs in wgt

going to mount it behind transaxle vertically, hinged at the bottom end on two 3/4" pins, but make it so it would normally stay in vertical position, and if i needed more wgt, i can swing top end down to create a shelf to put more wgt on top

doubt i'll need it but in case, it'll be ready

/ Counter Weight #5  
Depending upon why you need it - As much as it takes / tractor 3 pth can lift.

I plow snow with my FEL, and for added stability / traction, I've strapped 2-350# concrete blocks, and 4-70# tubes of sand on my 550# box blade. My snow bucket holds 31 cf struck, and weighs just over 600# empty. It'll move a lot of snow, both in weight and volume.

Combined with filled rears, I have about 2200# of rear ballast. I've never experienced any "pucker factor" when using the FEL when kitted out as such.

Would I run this way while working soft ground??? Heck no! :eek:

When it's soft, I generally just have an implement, whether cutter or box-blade, attached at all times.

Good Luck!

Lunk

/ Counter Weight
I have a 3030 cab and I built some front forks that work great. When I was lifting the lawn tractor to store it for the winter the weight was almost to much and I need a counter weight. I have a Box Blade that I normally use but I don't have room in the Shed to turn around with it on. So I was just wondering how much weight should I shoot for and does anyone have a cheap and dirty idea for a counter weight. Thanks alot for your reply

/ Counter Weight #7  
I have a 3030 cab and I built some front forks that work great. When I was lifting the lawn tractor to store it for the winter the weight was almost to much and I need a counter weight. I have a Box Blade that I normally use but I don't have room in the Shed to turn around with it on. So I was just wondering how much weight should I shoot for and does anyone have a cheap and dirty idea for a counter weight. Thanks alot for your reply

If turn around space is an issue then nothing would beat loaded tires since they would add no length to your rig. As far as cheap and dirty goes, this is about as cheap and dirty as you can get. I was able to find over 400lbs of used weights for $45 on Craigslist and at garage sales. One other thing you might want to try is to use the search feature on this site and search for "ballast" or "counter weight". I know it has been discussed before and it always amazes me on all the different ideas people come up with.

Attachments

• IMG_0564.JPG
    IMG_0564.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 5,482
   / Counter Weight #8  
Here are some pictures of a fast attach counter weight I made for my kubota B2920. It is about a 30 gallon barrel filled with concrete,weighs about 500#. I cut out the center and fabed a notch that a standared draw bar with holes fits into. Just back into the cut out and lift,close draft control,put in 1 safety bolt and your ready to go. Takes about 30 seconds.
HPIM0456.jpg

HPIM0457.jpg

/ Counter Weight #9  
Blue plastic 55 gallon drum, free
Longest draw bar I could find, $25.00
1000 lbs concrete, $65.00
1-1/2" x 6ft long galv pipe, bent like a hockey stick for top link, free
A piece of 3/8" chain so I can lift bucket with loader if needed, free
Bunch of scrap tire chains to act like rebar, free
Everything all tied to the draw bar.
Result is about 1100 lbs of counter weight.

/ Counter Weight #10  
I bought this box a week ago for $25 from A Guy that got it new with his tractor two years ago. He said it had been used two times and had no use for it. Won't tell Ya what color it was but a $3 can of paint and 3/4 full of rocks what a inprovement in FEL work.

http://i34.tinypic.com/21e6g79.jpg