Silver Member

Default CG placement

There have been many threads about counter weight/weight boxes. I am planning on making a concrete and barrel type. The questions I have not seen answered is where to place the center of gravity.
    1. Do you place cg above the pins? If so, how low to go?
    2. Do you place cg below the pins? If so, does that eliminate the need for a top link?

Tractor
    3940HST Montana

Default Re: CG placement

What size barrel do you have? If the CG is above the pins then you do need a top link. If the CG is below then maybe you don't need the TL but the ballast might tend to sway or rock.

You might want to look at some existing ballast boxes, lots to search for here and many good ideas. Some include a carry box / tubes for tools.
    Montana 3940HST
    Home made SS quick attach http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/s...d.php?t=141029

Silver Member

mwb,
    Thanks for the reply. I don't have a barrel yet but I do have a 35/40 gal square trash can I might use. I noticed the improvements that were made on some "boxes" such as the chain holders, tool carriers, etc., and I will probably incorporate some of those ideas.

Norm

Tractor
    Kubota B2620, Ford 2N

Quote Originally Posted by nap61 View Post
    mwb,
    Thanks for the reply. I don't have a barrel yet but I do have a 35/40 gal square trash can I might use. I noticed the improvements that were made on some "boxes" such as the chain holders, tool carriers, etc., and I will probably incorporate some of those ideas.

Norm
    5 gallons of concrete weighs 80 lbs, so 35 gallons would be 560 lbs. Should be plenty of counter weight. I recommend a top link just to keep things from swaying too much, even if center of gravity is below the bottom links.