Help me decide

/ Help me decide #1  

BrentD

Silver Member
I posted this same thread over at WeldingWeb so I could get a broader opinion base. I'm trying to make a decision on what I want for Christmas this year and have a tough choice to make. I already have a Harbor Freight 110Amp MIG (the 94164 model) and a Harbor Freight oxy/acetylene rig.

My choices are a used Miller Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC arc welder or a new Harbor Freight Inverter Plasma Cutter. The Miller I can get for $350. The plasma cutter I can get on sale for $650 and then I have another 20% off coupon...

If you had to choose what would you get and why?

/ Help me decide #3  
The stick welder, you already have a torch.

I've survived, even thrived some of the last 27 years of being in contracting business with out a plasma cutter, could not of with out a stick welder.

/ Help me decide #4  
I posted this same thread over at WeldingWeb so I could get a broader opinion base. I'm trying to make a decision on what I want for Christmas this year and have a tough choice to make. I already have a Harbor Freight 110Amp MIG (the 94164 model) and a Harbor Freight oxy/acetylene rig.

My choices are a used Miller Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC arc welder or a new Harbor Freight Inverter Plasma Cutter. The Miller I can get for $350. The plasma cutter I can get on sale for $650 and then I have another 20% off coupon...

If you had to choose what would you get and why?

Plasma Cutter! But sorry to say your 20% off coupon most likely is only good for regular price?

/ Help me decide
Plasma Cutter! But sorry to say your 20% off coupon most likely is only good for regular price?
My local HF has never given me any problems using 20% off coupons off the sale price. I bought my MIG on sale, then used a 20% off coupon on top of that. Total for the Welder and the extended warranty was only $150 before taxes at that time.

/ Help me decide #6  
Stick welder if you wanna do some real work. Plasma cutter if you wanna make sheet metal cut out signs. Like someone else said (more or less)...I've lived plenty long and hard without plasma but you can't mend a plow without a good welder.

/ Help me decide #7  
Another vote for the stick welder ! You just cant beat a good welding machine!

/ Help me decide #8  
Stick Welder, even my elcheapo has worked good in getting me out of quite a few jams over the years. Thinking of it I believe it been one of the best Harbor Frieght items I've bought over the years.

Carey

/ Help me decide #9  
I my self would vote for the welder,

unless I was interested in cutting a lot of light materials, Yes I want a nice plasma cutter, but so far for 40+ years I have got buy with out but I could not have done it with out the welder,

/ Help me decide #10  
+1 for the welder. Can't get by without a good stick welder, not if you want to weld anything tractor worthy. Plasmas seem to keep getting cheaper anyway.