Modify snow plow for tractor.

/ Modify snow plow for tractor. #1  

wedge40

Veteran Member
Found an OLD snow plow on CL. It doesn't have hydraulics to change direction only pins. How difficult would be to add the cylinders? Or do I really need to worry that much about it? Do users change the plow angle much when in use?

Wedge

/ Modify snow plow for tractor. #2  
I change the angle constantly. I think you will be unhappy having to manually adjust the blade. Add a DA cylinder should be very easy.

/ Modify snow plow for tractor. #3  
I don't have a huge yard but leave my blade in the straite position all the time works great and does not push the tractor off to the side when plowing.
Rob

/ Modify snow plow for tractor. #4  
Found an OLD snow plow on CL. It doesn't have hydraulics to change direction only pins. How difficult would be to add the cylinders? Or do I really need to worry that much about it? Do users change the plow angle much when in use?

Wedge

I plowed snow for two years with a non-angling blade. Even tho it is doable and you can push a lot of snow with it, I found myself going back time and time again to clean up the windrows that would come off both sides of the blade. It took a long time to get it all cleaned up. Two years ago, I broke down and bought a OEM front mounted blade that angles. There is no comparison on how quickly I can now clean up snow. I find myself turning it quite often. Instead of trying to push all the snow to a couple of areas that I used to pile it up, I can now push it off to either side regardless of which way I am going. It is very nice feature to have.

/ Modify snow plow for tractor. #5  
I have done it both ways, as long as you can at least manually angle it for clean up, add the hydraulics later if you feel you need them, Its definitely alot easier and more convenient!

/ Modify snow plow for tractor. #6  
For a road/long driveway, I do think you must be able to angle it at least manually but with hydro is certainly a nice to have but not a must unless you make this your primary income.

But hey, if you have the time and money, why not?

/ Modify snow plow for tractor. #7  
I have done it both ways. While any plow is better than nothing a non angled plow does not hold a candle to a angle plow. Kind of like getting your first tractor with a FEL and wondering how you every got by with out one.

Once you have a angle plow you will not go back.

Chris

/ Modify snow plow for tractor. #8  
I have manuel setup w/300' driveway,parking area etc.
Once plow pattern figure out maybe 3 times swtich from straight to 45...heck try out manuel first see if you like it.

/ Modify snow plow for tractor. #9  
I agree that you should try it angling the plow manually and see how much of a bother it is. It certainly is way more convenient to have a hydraulic angling capability but not necessary. I kinda depends on how much you plow and your drive configuration.

/ Modify snow plow for tractor. #10  
I think a lot of it depends on how your tractor's set up with Hydro ports! Mine came with a cobbled up mouting bracket that someone fabbed to use an old meyer plow that had hydro rams. With my set up, I had all the ports for an FEL, so it was a 'no-brainer'! Lift ports control the short chain plow lift, and curl circuit handles the angling, all from the stock joystick. If your tractor's so equipped, it would be time well spent to fab up your plow for power angling. Around here, lots of plows with rotted blades are scrapped along with working cylinders!! Should be able to pick some up for 'cheap'!! You won't be sorry you spent the time! ~Scotty