DIY wheel weights for 12" wheels

/ DIY wheel weights for 12" wheels #1  

Tony Brucato

Tractor
JD 425, JD 110, JD 140
I was just swapping these weights from my JD 110 onto my newly aquired JD 425 and thought I would share the idea.
I have my rims with the valve stems on the inside, so I was able to use the largest diameter recess of the rim to seat and locate the weights. 25 pound barbell weights fit perfectly. Not Olympic weights, but the generic weights for use with one inch bar. I bought 200 pounds of them for 40 cents per pound.

I drilled two plates for each wheel with the four bolt pattern and then used long carriage bolts and nuts to make a two plate sandwich for bolting to the wheel. I also added a strap on the back with a 3/4" nut welded behind a through-hole. These two plate sandwiches are bolted to the rims as really heavy and ugly hub caps that will be left on all the time.
4175502262_bfd8b74399.jpg

4174743151_733624ecfb.jpg

Here's where the 3/4" nuts come in; I Cut some short lengths of 3/4" black iron water pipe which just happens to fit perfectly in the center hole of the weights. This leaves a stub of pipe sticking out of the ugly hubcaps and makes it easy to just hang your extra weights on them. I use a 3/4" bolt to tighten down on everything, and away I go.
4175504514_1e07583123.jpg

4175505932_88cd7efdfc.jpg

You'll need to have different length pipe studs and bolts depending on the number of plates. I keep the 50 pound hubcaps on all the time, and add two more plates per wheel for 200 total pounds when I really need it. Only takes a couple of minutes to change.

This has probably been done already, but it was a new idea to me.

4175507054_8768861b52.jpg

/ DIY wheel weights for 12" wheels #3  
Tony, That is indeed a very nice idea and implementation. I have been thinking of doing something similar with the 25 kilo weights that we have here, but have not found any less expensive than new.:mad:

Good Job.

Mike

/ DIY wheel weights for 12" wheels #4  
There's a few stores around Nashville that sell used sporting goods---"Play It Again Sports" seems to come to mind. I bought some used free weights off of them and made wheel weights very similar.

One set of weights drilled very easily for the mounting bolts. The other sets must've been cast iron. It took forever and a day to drill the holes through them.

/ DIY wheel weights for 12" wheels #5  
Nice Job Tony. How did you attach to the rims, did you simply drill holes for the carriage bolts?

/ DIY wheel weights for 12" wheels #6  
That is a nice clean install on the little JD.
My son the weight lifter has been collecting free weights for some time now. People actually have to pay to have them removed from their property.
Around here the charities that beg will not take fitness equipment.
I intend to use them to add about 300# to the front of our utility tractor if I can sort out a way to make it look neat.

/ DIY wheel weights for 12" wheels #7  
I bought some used free weights off of them

Boy.....they must have seen you coming!!
I've never paid a cent for free weights.....

/ DIY wheel weights for 12" wheels
Nice Job Tony. How did you attach to the rims, did you simply drill holes for the carriage bolts?

Yes, I laid out the bolt pattern on one plate, then used it as a template for the others.
After you have the two plates bolted to the wheels, you can hang as many as you'd like on the appropriately sized pipe stub.
You could also use even larger plates on the outside once you clear the rim and sidewall.

It's hard to find any free or cheap weights around here with scrap iron prices so high.