CadDigger 628 build

/ CadDigger 628 build #1  

Verticaltrx

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200/L2501/SVL65-2/U35-4, IH 454/656, Ford NAA, Case 1845C/480E/450C LGP
Thought some of yall might be interested in the 628 CadDigger I built. I wanted a small backhoe for small trenching jobs, light excavation, and other jobs I encounter in my agricultural construction business and the CadDiggers seemed to fit the bill. At the time I didn't have my B3200, and I wouldn't have spent $7000-8000 for a backhoe attachment anyways. Plus with the 628 I can tow it quickly to a small job with my Tacoma without bringing one of my bigger trucks and trailers.

I built this in my farm shop using basic tools such as a chop saw, drill press, 4.5" grinder, etc. Welding was done with my Lincoln SP175-T MIG welder (.035 flux core) and Lincoln 225AC stick welder (1/8" 7018.)

Here's the main frame, hydraulic tank, stabilizer assy.

P1010126sm.jpg

Next was the main swing assy. (prior to welding)

P1010128sm.jpg

Main boom

P1010130sm.jpg

This is the shell of the 12" bucket I made

P1010133sm.jpg

More forthcoming...

/ CadDigger 628 build
I used Hercules 2A bucket teeth which were about $8 each, but the tooth holder assemblies were over $20 each. So I fashioned my own out of two pieces of 1/2" plate welded back to back (didn't have any 1" on hand.)

P1010135sm.jpg

Here's a picture of the nearly completed CadDigger, pictured are the cheapo tie-rod type cylinders that I used. At $55 each they seemed like a good idea, but I'm beginning to regret not spending a little more on better cylinders, more on that later.

P1010138sm.jpg

This is the completed 12" bucket. The cutting edge was made out of a 16" plow share. I also have a 6" bucket, and will make a 15" bucket in the future.

P1010142sm.jpg

Fast forward a few weeks:

P1010159sm.jpg

Specs:

5' digging depth
8' reach
2600lbs ripping power

5hp Honda GC160
2gpm Dynamic pump
Prince SV series 4-spool valve
2 Grizzly 2"x8" cylinders (from Agri-supply)
1 Grizzly 2"x10" cylinder
1 Grizzly 2.5"x8" cylinder

Total cost for the machine was about $1500

I'll post some pics of it on the job when I get them uploaded.

Last edited:
   / CadDigger 628 build #3  
Well just drop off those cheap cylinders here and I will take care of themfor you, might as well leave that there contraption too! LOL
I want one, first I have to learn to weld much better -- SWEET JOB, Kudos man!

/ CadDigger 628 build #4  
outstanding!
thats a freat looking job. I am involoved reworking a arps 80 back hoe.along with several other things.(saw mill,dump trailer)
Grunt.

/ CadDigger 628 build #5  
Nice posting, both with the comments and the pictures.

The workmanship was outstanding.

There is a lot to be said for using small easy to transport machines.

/ CadDigger 628 build
Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty pleased with the performance of the machine, it definitely beats a shovel or spade.

Here's a few pics of one of the first jobs I did with it:

P1010166sm.jpg

P1010178sm.jpg

P1010177sm.jpg

P1010176sm.jpg

Was installing an automatic waterer, dug a couple of 4' deep holes for the connections and trenched 300' about 3' deep in red clay. Took about 8-9hrs which is a while, but saved a couple hundred dollars and half a day to go rent a trencher.

I've done several other jobs since then and the machine has worked great. I replaced a 20' culvert, cleaned out a couple of creeks, cleaned up about 200' of ditch line, and done a few other small drainage projects. I've run numerous larger backhoes, everything from a B21 to a full size Allis-Chalmers TLB, and although it takes a little different operating technique, the CadDigger has really surprised me with what it will do. Of course it's not as fast as a larger backhoe, but once you figure out how to run the machine it can do a lot of work.

The main boom cylinder has started to leak a bit, and the pump has started to leak a bit. Also the swing cylinder got slightly bent. I'll probably replace the cylinders eventually with some nice welded cylinders, and use these for another project.

/ CadDigger 628 build #7  
Very nice build. Now that you have the 2 tractors are you considering making it into a 3 point BH? You could lose the engine and hydro pump and run it off the tractors hydro's. I would think you could do a little more work that way having a stable platform to work form.

Chris

/ CadDigger 628 build #8  
I've run numerous larger backhoes, everything from a B21 to a full size Allis-Chalmers TLB, and although it takes a little different operating technique, the CadDigger has really surprised me with what it will do. Of course it's not as fast as a larger backhoe, but once you figure out how to run the machine it can do a lot of work.

When I saw the picture of that trench I figured you must have run a backhoe before. It's good to hear a glowing review from someone who has used "real" machinery. I'm planning a backhoe attachment for my tractor in the near future that will not be much bigger than a cadDigger. I'm glad to know that a simiilar sized machine is appreciated even by someone with prior experience with heavy machinery.

/ CadDigger 628 build #9  
Awesome project!
Always wanted to do the same thing whenever I get some free time and extra money.

Btw, what reason did you have for wanting to swap out the cylinders to the welded units?
I've thought about using the same ones you did just for cost wise.

/ CadDigger 628 build
Very nice build. Now that you have the 2 tractors are you considering making it into a 3 point BH? You could lose the engine and hydro pump and run it off the tractors hydro's. I would think you could do a little more work that way having a stable platform to work form.

Chris

Most likely I will build another larger unit to go on one or both of my tractors. Not sure what size I would build, maybe a 708 CadDigger (7' digging depth), and mount it on the B3200 with the Kubota sub-frame. I do really like having the 628 for small jobs though, I can go dig up a broken water line or other small quick jobs without tying up one of my tractors.

When I saw the picture of that trench I figured you must have run a backhoe before. It's good to hear a glowing review from someone who has used "real" machinery. I'm planning a backhoe attachment for my tractor in the near future that will not be much bigger than a cadDigger. I'm glad to know that a simiilar sized machine is appreciated even by someone with prior experience with heavy machinery.

Yup, even a small machine when operated properly can do a lot of work. Plus, when I envision how people would have been digging that trench 100yrs ago (spade, pick and a tile hoe) it seems to really go quick. ;)

Awesome project!
Always wanted to do the same thing whenever I get some free time and extra money.

Btw, what reason did you have for wanting to swap out the cylinders to the welded units?
I've thought about using the same ones you did just for cost wise.

The tie-rod cylinders I got were just cheap ones. To be honest I didn't want to spend too much money on this unit because I had no idea if it would really work. Now that I know it does I'm willing to buy some better parts.

There are some good tie-rod type cylinders out there, but the welded type are cleaner, more compact, and often are sturdier. Plus, the welded type generally have a cross-tube at both ends instead of a clevis type end, which with a grease fitting would make things last longer.