Channel iron strength

/ Channel iron strength #1  

Hooked_on_HP

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1900 FWD Kubota F2100E
I am going to build a 5'x8' tandem axle dump trailer. Part of the frame is going to be 3x1.5x3/16 channel. Is channel strength the same whether it is used flat or on edge?
Bill

/ Channel iron strength #2  
I am going to build a 5'x8' tandem axle dump trailer. Part of the frame is going to be 3x1.5x3/16 channel. Is channel strength the same whether it is used flat or on edge?
Bill

The channel strength won't be the same. The load bearing against the 1.5" side is stronger. For a 5'x8' trailer I wouldn't think it would matter. 3x1.5x3/16 will be more than enough no matter what direction it is turned.

/ Channel iron strength #4  
Bill

no, it is much stronger on edge. But if you are going to need tandem axle's you will need to use something larger to get the capacity of 2 3500 lb. axels:cool:

/ Channel iron strength #5  
While everyone is here - :D - What is the minimum size channel to buy for lightweight forks?

I made a set of light strap-on forks (see photo in this thread) that match my lifting capacity. Now I want to make a couple more that are longer. Occasionally I will use all four to carry brush and prunings to the burn pile.

Recommendation? The loader capacity at the pins is around 700-800 lbs, maybe 500 lbs safe carrying weight on a pallet, so I don't need HD here.

What size channel should I buy?

/ Channel iron strength
It is going to have 2- 2000lbs axles with springs. I will probably never put over a ton in it. The reason for the tandem is so I can load the trailer unhooked, back up to it ,raise the TPH which has a ball mounted on it and drive to where I want to dump. Dump the load drive back to the pile ,lower the TPH to unhook and reload and repeat as necessary. I also figured the tandem would spread the weight out and would cause fewer ruts.
Bill

Last edited:
   / Channel iron strength #7  
This is off road use only? just curious.

Most trailers utilize channel, for that matter anything with a frame, from a truck to older cars of course use channel for frame. Never seen one with the channel flat, except maybe a cross member.

Channel is pretty tough stuff even laying flat but has more strength standing on edge, think of a 2x4 (almost the same size) easy to see what the stronger position would be.

It's a dimensional thing, whether a channel, an angle, an I-beam or even a wood beam, which ever has the greater dimension, that's the side you want in vertical profile.

You're not wasting any time finding a project for that new metal working tool you got :)

JB.

/ Channel iron strength
   / Channel iron strength #9  
The reason for the tandem is so I can load the trailer unhooked, back up to it ,raise the TPH which has a ball mounted on it and drive to where I want to dump. Dump the load drive back to the pile ,lower the TPH to unhook and reload and repeat as necessary. Bill

Bill,

Don't pull a dump trailer with a 3PH. When you raise the bed and the load shifts to behind the rear axle, there is nothing keeping your 3PH from lifting.

John

/ Channel iron strength
John you just screwed up my plan.Thank you. I hadn't thought about that. I will have to give this a little more thought.With the tandem set to the rear I wonder it it will raise the tongue?
Bill