Snowblower Conversion - Pics

/ Snowblower Conversion - Pics
Arnie,
Yes, you are correct to measure your impeller diameter at the tips of the blades.
Another discovery I made at TBN is for efficiency in throwing snow (distance) the critical item is the gap between the impeller blades and drum. This is especially true with wet snow. One members who is extremely critical in this regard keeps his clearance to the thickness of a dime and claims to throw snow (as I recall) 100ft.(!) My clearance is about 5/16" and if I end up not throwing far enough I'll look here first. I think 1/8" clearance would be what I would shoot for.
To reduce the gap there is a product available (I don't recall the name) comprising of rubber type flaps with backing plates that can be bolted onto the existing impellers. Some have welded a bead on their impeller edges and milled (grind/file?) to fit. Others have added sheet metal liners to their drums. So there's several options and approaches.
My feeling regarding reducing the impeller/drum gap is that the critical location for the closest tolerance would be in the last third or quarter turn of the impeller rotation before it reaches the chute outlet. A larger gap up-rotation from this would only be slightly detrimental. It is just before the snow exits where the clearance needs to be tight. With this in mind it may even be possible on some blower designs to shift the impeller shaft in the correct direction to achieve the required gap for the quarter turn before the chute. On my design the impeller shaft is held in place with a flange block through bolted to the back of the drum. I could slot the mounting holes and adjust the impeller clearance that way then roller pin the block to the backing plate to hold it in position. Of course I'd then have to adjust my gear backlash but I made provisions in my design to do just that.

/ Snowblower Conversion - Pics #42  
Gravely 816 tractor, 48" blower, ~20" snow. I did about 1/2 mile of road several times, and several driveways. Was fun to really use the blower. the "tunnel" had been ballooned out from previous owner, impeller worn. I took and cut some old tire tread and bolted to impeller to reduce tip clearance. It blows what ever snow I encounter now.

Attachments

• HPIM2865.jpg
    HPIM2865.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 377
   / Snowblower Conversion - Pics #43  
So do you get a wrenched back from driving the tractor in reverse?

/ Snowblower Conversion - Pics #44  
Gravely tractors have blowers on the front. No 3pt available. Hydraulic lift to raise it, crank easily reached sitting down to change chute direction, cable pull to change chute distance.

Attachments

• HPIM0791.jpg
    HPIM0791.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 240
   / Snowblower Conversion - Pics #45  
Arnie,
Yes, you are correct to measure your impeller diameter at the tips of the blades.
Another discovery I made at TBN is for efficiency in throwing snow (distance) the critical item is the gap between the impeller blades and drum. This is especially true with wet snow.

more good information-- I've got the whole thing disassembled and ready for sandblasting and re-painting. Paint reccomendations welcome.-- The intermediate step will now be trueing up the impeller to the drum. I believe I can do that with a hammer and or vice grips to bend as necessary. If not-- more practice with the welder and file.

I've been trying to true up the augers as previous owners likely didn't use sheer bolts--and that was likely why I got the whole shebang for $100
Thanks again--
ARNIE

/ Snowblower Conversion - Pics #46  
Posts like this are depressing, I realize how pathetic my metal working skills / knowledge are.

Thanks a lot Dirt.

I gotta go do something I'm good at to feel better about myself, I'm thinking a nap.

Joel

/ Snowblower Conversion - Pics #47  
Hi RedDirt, I noticed your post from a while ago on changing the shaft direction on your snow blower project. I have the same type of problem that you had. I purchased a Gravely 40 inch new snow blower that I converted to mount on the front of my 618 Grasshopper mower, everthing worked fine and the pto. shaft seems to turn at the proper rpm, but rotates in the wrong direction. I was thinking about using some spur gears like I noticed that you did. I think that i could use two gears that have the same tooth count and about 2inch dia. with a 1in. bore. I have very limited space to work in. I don t know if the spur gears will work ok without running in some lubricant. I am already over budget and don t know if I should continue with this project. I will try to send some photos in hope that maybe you could give some advice on this project. thanks Dave

Attachments

• DSCN2420.JPG
    DSCN2420.JPG
    662.5 KB · Views: 193
  • DSCN2418.JPG
    DSCN2418.JPG
    675.2 KB · Views: 202
  • DSCN2408.JPG
    DSCN2408.JPG
    656.8 KB · Views: 236
  • DSCN2410.JPG
    DSCN2410.JPG
    637.6 KB · Views: 253
   / Snowblower Conversion - Pics #48  
Red Drt hasn't been on TBN for over a year.
Bill