Finally Building my Backhoe

/ Finally Building my Backhoe #101  
Are you building from any set of plans or are you planning your own? What size tractor are you going to mount it to?

I'm working from my own plans and adapting those to an older Craftsman GT 18 that came with the farm we bought a few years ago. It has a strong carriage and stout rear axle so I'm not concerned that it will be too delicate for the job. I wish I had started this sooner because I really need this machine yesterday! We have flood issues going on around here (Southern Manitoba) and I need to get swails and trenches dug and at my age using a spade is a pain, literally.

While I'm on here I should list some of the items I will need for my build. I'd like to locate hydraulic supplies such as cylinders and valves, locally if possible so that importing issues can be avoided. 2" bore should do and I have yet to determine the lengths I'll need but I believe 18" stroke for two of them and 14" or 16" for two more would be a good guess. Any way, time to go abuse myself with the spade for a while.

/ Finally Building my Backhoe #102  
Farmer, The bucket's looking great - Nice job!:thumbsup:

Norm, Welcome aboard. :welcome:

/ Finally Building my Backhoe #103  
I'm working from my own plans and adapting those to an older Craftsman GT 18 that came with the farm we bought a few years ago. It has a strong carriage and stout rear axle so I'm not concerned that it will be too delicate for the job. I wish I had started this sooner because I really need this machine yesterday! We have flood issues going on around here (Southern Manitoba) and I need to get swails and trenches dug and at my age using a spade is a pain, literally.

While I'm on here I should list some of the items I will need for my build. I'd like to locate hydraulic supplies such as cylinders and valves, locally if possible so that importing issues can be avoided. 2" bore should do and I have yet to determine the lengths I'll need but I believe 18" stroke for two of them and 14" or 16" for two more would be a good guess. Any way, time to go abuse myself with the spade for a while.

Have you decided on pins yet? I have home built BH I bought few years back. It works pretty well but I am shearing pins in various locations. I bought a bar of supposedly strong material so I will see how it will work for now. I would recommend to increase the pins size at least to 1.5". My are 1" but I am going to rebuilt all of them to 1.5" so they would take the abuse.

/ Finally Building my Backhoe

If you're buying new hydraulics it likely doesn't pencil out to build your own when you can get a Harbor Freight towable for $3000 US. If you start adding up the cost of cylinders, pumps, valves, and hoses you get into some big money very fast. Mine only makes sense because I got all the cylinders and valves through some connections for a very reasonable price. I'm still going to have to buy hoses, but I think I can get most of them from Surplus Center much cheaper than local prices. I actually have an Army Surplus store nearby that has a whole aisle of hydraulic hoses. Most of them are pretty short, though, or VERY large diameter (M1 Abrams tanks must have some very high flow hydraulic systems). But, if you find what you need it's cheap.

/ Finally Building my Backhoe #105  
Redneck In Training: Thanks for the warning about pins. The build I'm gearing up for is going on the back of a garden tractor. The pins will mostly be similar in size to category one 3pth stock. For the pivot box I'm planning something unique. I'll surprise you with it when the build starts!

Which pins are you shearing most often and how large is your machine?

Iplayfarmer: Indeed, the hydraulics prices threaten to kill the project! My saving grace will have to be that I'm a scrounger and a proud cheapskate. I have a significant amount of the steel I will need (left behind by the previous owner) and hopefully a backdoor access to the welding shop next door to one of the bus companies I do charters with. I've seen stuff sticking out of his recycle bin that I think I could utilize.

For the hoses I'm planning something I have seen on big hoes. They run steel lines along rigid parts of the machine and use flexible hoses where the bending happens. For mine I think steel brake lines might serve. Your thoughts?

/ Finally Building my Backhoe
My saving grace will have to be that I'm a scrounger and a proud cheapskate.

Ah... You're in good shapem, then.

For the hoses I'm planning something I have seen on big hoes. They run steel lines along rigid parts of the machine and use flexible hoses where the bending happens. For mine I think steel brake lines might serve. Your thoughts?

I've seen discussions about steel brake line, but never really paid much attention. It seems the consensus is that they won't handle the pressure. You might do some research before you bite the bullet on that one. Another thought... The major cost of a hose is the fittings. If you break a hose run up with steel line you double the number of fittings. Just look at it both ways before you commit.

/ Finally Building my Backhoe #107  
Norml, where in southern Mb. are you? I'm around Ile Des Chenes. I am building a subframe backhoe as well. I get my pins and bearings from Princess Auto.

/ Finally Building my Backhoe #108  
Redneck In Training: Thanks for the warning about pins. The build I'm gearing up for is going on the back of a garden tractor. The pins will mostly be similar in size to category one 3pth stock. For the pivot box I'm planning something unique. I'll surprise you with it when the build starts!

Which pins are you shearing most often and how large is your machine?

Iplayfarmer: Indeed, the hydraulics prices threaten to kill the project! My saving grace will have to be that I'm a scrounger and a proud cheapskate. I have a significant amount of the steel I will need (left behind by the previous owner) and hopefully a backdoor access to the welding shop next door to one of the bus companies I do charters with. I've seen stuff sticking out of his recycle bin that I think I could utilize.

I shear the boom pivot and the middle pin on the dipper.
Here is a video digging a ditch to my pond
YouTube - MVI 1768

/ Finally Building my Backhoe #109  
If you break a hose run up with steel line you double the number of fittings. Just look at it both ways before you commit.

Thanks. I had not thought of that. However, since the lines I'll be using will be no more than 3/8th", maybe that will affect the cost. I'll check on that before I go one way or the other.

/ Finally Building my Backhoe #110  
Norml, where in southern Mb. are you? I'm around Ile Des Chenes. I am building a subframe backhoe as well. I get my pins and bearings from Princess Auto.

Not too far from you, about 45min drive! I live a few miles from Starbuck. Once I get started we'll have to compare notes.