Finally Building my Backhoe

/ Finally Building my Backhoe #181  
Found it...
It's time; either get started or.... - TractorByNet.com

I've subscribed to it now so that I can see updates as they happen.

You might also check out Chad22's build as he's mounting his onto a garden tractor similar to what you are proposing. There are a lot of lessons to be learned in his thread.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/200605-backhoe-update-im-making-progress.html

Thanks for posting my link for me. I just did it again for practice following mjncad's instructions.

I have been following Chad22 and learning along with him. There are some issues with his use of 1/8th" material that have alerted me to what might happen in mine. His thread has been kind of quiet lately.

/ Finally Building my Backhoe
His thread has been kind of quiet lately.

I think he's waiting until he gets his new welder to do much more work. A point learned from Chad22's build is that regardless of how small the machine is you attach your backhoe to, the hydraulic pressure is what causes a backhoe to eat itself alive. You have to build it to handle the pressure of your system regardless of what you hook it to.

/ Finally Building my Backhoe #184  
I have been following Chad22 and learning along with him. There are some issues with his use of 1/8th" material that have alerted me to what might happen in mine. His thread has been kind of quiet lately.

Yeah. Sorry I haven't updated my thread in awhile I got busy with some other stuff and hadn't worked to much on the backhoe.

I'm also waiting on another pump. Well first I'm waiting for paypal to clear the funds from my bank account then I can order it.

I'm now making a towable backhoe. I took it off the riding mower. The forward gears went out in the trans axle.

I decided it wasn't worth putting in another trans axle. I had a good trailer axle that I mounted the backhoe on.

An update on the reason the pump blew a seal. It was my fault. I had it it spinning the wrong way. :laughing:

I got the new "new to me" lincoln welder a while back. It's a great welder. Got it off a guy from craigslist for $100.00 he even threw in a helmet.

I used it to weld up the new backhoe.

I should be done with the backhoe pretty soon. Basically all I have to do now is put the stabilizers on, add some more bracing, and then get the last 4 hoses for the bucket cylinder.

Then it should be ready to dig.

I'm just gonna make the stabilizers out of some old pipe I got laying around.

I'm not gonna use hydraulics for the stabilizers. I'm just gonna make it where I can pull a pin and lift them up and lower them by hand.

So basically the stabilizers will be a pipe sliding inside another pipe.

If the wind stops blowing soon, I'll get out there and start working on the stabilizers while I wait for the pump.

This wind around here has just been crazy. Right now the wind ain't to bad. But a few days ago. It was blowing so hard it would knock you down.

Chad

How much trouble do I get in for resurrecting a 13-year-old thread? Do I get some level of forgiveness if I am working to complete a 13-year-old project? I've picked this backhoe project back up... this time with the intent to mount it on my antique Terratrac GT30 crawler tractor.

So far I have the main frame and the boom cut out and welded together. I also have the stabilizer feet welded up. The main boom is still in the shed from years ago when I started. I don't think I will post a lot, but I wanted to catch people up on the reality that this might actually happen.

Here is a picture showing the main frame welded up with one stabilizer foot pinned in place. This picture also shows how incredibly cluttered and disorganized my garage/workshop is.

Attachments

• IMG_6859.JPG
    IMG_6859.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 68
   / Finally Building my Backhoe #187  
Good to see you back and fabricating again!! I'm looking forward to seeing the trenches and pits you can dig when it's done!
My build was finally completed a few years ago and then had to undergo some revisions: change engines, change pump drive from belt drive (slippage problems), etc. I'm hoping to get my grandson interested in operating it since at my age mounting and dismounting is getting risky,
:cool:

Good to see you back and fabricating again!! I'm looking forward to seeing the trenches and pits you can dig when it's done!
My build was finally completed a few years ago and then had to undergo some revisions: change engines, change pump drive from belt drive (slippage problems), etc. I'm hoping to get my grandson interested in operating it since at my age mounting and dismounting is getting risky,
:cool:
I'm just assuming that my experience will be similar to yours... once it get the build done there will be some lessons learned and modifications made.

My status update so far...

I have the subframe that mounts to the dozer all fabbed up. In the attached picture, the subframe is not finished. I had to get it in place before I could figure out a set of braces that hold it more solidly to the frame. I ended up drilling a 1/2" hole into the angle iron bracket above the subframe and cut some 1/2" bar that I welded to the subframe. It will probably show up in the next few steps of the process when I am posting pictures.

The next step is probably the swing box.

Attachments

• IMG_6878.JPG
    IMG_6878.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 49
   / Finally Building my Backhoe #190  
Are you building this in a "quick-attach" style for easy removal when the hoe would e in the way for the other purposes you have for the Terratrac?