Finally Building my Backhoe

/ Finally Building my Backhoe #31  
I went to shaft collars. McMaster carr has them $1.50 for a 1" ID 1.5 od 5/5 thick with a set screw. They have a million sizes
If I want two holes to line up I lock them on a shaft and weld them in place.

I did this myself when I built my FEL. Worked great. The set screw holds the pins in and keeps them from turning to boot.I found them at out local Rural King farm supply store. I recently picked up about 4 feet of DOM at an auction so that's what I'll be using if I ever get started on my hoe build but the collars worked fine.

/ Finally Building my Backhoe
I got a call from my wife this morning... My box from Enco showed up. That's pretty good for having just ordered it Monday. I also just got a propane tip for my new cutting torch.

I don't know if I can wait until Saturday to get back to working on this backhoe.

Post Script to the Enco Box Arriving:

The 1" drill bit is only 9/16". It's clearly marked on the bit that it's a 9/16", but the outside of the box says it's a 1". The box is obviously too small to contain a 1" bit, though.

I've sent an e-mail to customer service. I'll update with what happens for the enlightenment of potential Enco customers.

Attachments

• P1010062.JPG
    P1010062.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 263
  • P1010065.JPG
    P1010065.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 272
   / Finally Building my Backhoe #35  
Just hate it when that happens. :eek: I hope that they quickly send you a properly sized one. Maybe they will let you keep the 9/16 too rather than pay to send it back. ;)

Mike

/ Finally Building my Backhoe #36  
Maybe they will let you keep the 9/16 too rather than pay to send it back. ;)

Mike

ENCO let me keep a couple SPI white on black steel rulers that were tough to read since the East Indians did a lousy job of printing (not engraved) the gradations on them. They also refunded my money promptly, so I think there is a good chance he'll be able to keep the 9/16" bit.

/ Finally Building my Backhoe #37  
Got a sketch of what you going for, just curious.... :)

/ Finally Building my Backhoe #38  
Post Script to the Enco Box Arriving:

The 1" drill bit is only 9/16". It's clearly marked on the bit that it's a 9/16", but the outside of the box says it's a 1". The box is obviously too small to contain a 1" bit, though.

I've sent an e-mail to customer service. I'll update with what happens for the enlightenment of potential Enco customers.

That's actually kind of humerous... In a frustrating sort of way. :confused:

That's actually kind of humerous... In a frustrating sort of way. :confused:

If I were on some kind of timeline to get the backhoe done or if I had nothing else to do without having the right drill bit, it might be more frustrating. The funny part to me is that it is VERY obvious that no 1" drill bit could fit in that box that's marked as a 1" bit. I'm pretty sure they'll tell me to keep the 9/16". If they want to send a shipping label, though, they're entitled to get it back.

jd2305cd said:
Got a sketch of what you going for, just curious....

I have several unfinished sketches. Everytime I get a new part or a new idea, I start the sketch over. Here are 2D shots of the two that I'm working from. There are many flaws in the design still that I'm well aware of, but anyone feel free to chime in with suggestions. I got to the point where I need to start building so I can sort out the issues in real space.

We had a very helpful discussion last year as I was in the early stages of designing...

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/138284-backhoe-design-ideas.html

Attachments

• Backhoe 2nd Draft incomplete.png
    Backhoe 2nd Draft incomplete.png
    50.7 KB · Views: 566
  • Backhoe 4th Draft incomplete.png
    Backhoe 4th Draft incomplete.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 435
   / Finally Building my Backhoe #40  
Thanks for the link it was a good read, lots of good info.. I'll be watching this closely.. Its on my wish list of projects..

Looking good so far..