My dump trailer build

/ My dump trailer build #1  

leveller

Bronze Member
After thinking about it for a long time, I finally decided to build a dump trailer to pull behind my tractor. I own a mini excavator, and many times when excavating in a back yard for a reno or patio, etc., there is no place to put the dirt. My plan is to load into the trailer with the mini ex., then haul dirt out with tractor and trailer, as opposed to a skid steer, which can cause a lot of damage on grass. That is my main reason for a trailer, but I'm sure I will find many uses around my yard as well as on a job site.
My goals for the trailer- Trailer must be no wider than my tractor,
- must have steep enough dump angle to unload wet or sticky dirt,
- build it strong enough to last,
- build it with stuff I had laying around to keep cost down (I have a well equipped shop, and I am a bit of a pack rat, so I have more stuff laying around than most people!)
The first pics are of the basic frame and my dump hinge points. I tend to design as I go, so plans change along the way, although I did a lot of sketching and measuring before I started. Also note- I am a lot more comfortable in the shop with a welder in my hand than on a computer, so I'm not sure if the pics will show up or not. I have never posted a build before, but I enjoy looking at all the other projects on here, especially with pics, so I will make an effort to document this build if it interests anybody. Hope you enjoy, and any comments or suggestions are welcomed

/ My dump trailer build
Obviously the pics did not show up (no surprise as I don't know anything about computers), but with my son's help, I will try again. Hope this works!

Attachments

• Dump Trailer 011.jpg
    Dump Trailer 011.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 1,877
  • Dump Trailer 012.jpg
    Dump Trailer 012.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 1,981
  • Dump Trailer 013.jpg
    Dump Trailer 013.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 2,222
  • Dump Trailer 014.jpg
    Dump Trailer 014.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 1,812
   / My dump trailer build #3  
Befor you go to far figure out where your cyl will mount to the frame and to the box to get the lift you want. This is what has me at stand still right now on my trailer. Good luck and post a lot of pics.BTW if you upload your pics to photobucket first it is a lot faster to load them on TBN.
Bill

/ My dump trailer build #4  
Leveler,

Thanks for posting this. Would you give some rough dimensions on the trailer and what kind of tractor are you going to pull it with.

I for one like seeing projects like that especially with pictures. I have a dump trailer build coming up in the near future but have to wait for the snow to melt. See picture of my "shop" during another trailer build.

Attachments

• Ready to mark.jpg
    Ready to mark.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 1,688
  • The shop.jpg
    The shop.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 1,241
   / My dump trailer build #5  
I recommend having a pretty substantial reinforced edge surrounding the dump box. Try as you might, occasionally it will get bumped with the excavator bucket.

Will it have one or two axles? Two will provide better support for the load, but will scuff the turf when turning tight.

I have been wanting to build one myself with these same thoughts in mind.

Also, how about stake pockets in case you want to add side board extensions for light weight material.
:confused:

/ My dump trailer build
Bill (hooked on HP) I have enjoyed watching your progress, that is what made me post my build, thanks for posting. I have my cylinder mounted, after a first try that did not work well! I am very surprised at the strength needed for the cylinder mounts! I am using a cylinder that looks very much like your's, Bill. Mine is about 4 in. bore, with a 23 in. stroke.I too had the cylinder laying around from another project, so I am making it work. My trailer is 4 ft. by 8 ft. I used 1 1/2 by 3 in. tube with 1/8 wall for the main frame. The trailer will have only one axle, so as to reduce damage on grass while turning, but I am using 15 in. wheels (and hubs) salvaged of a rear axle of a front wheel drive car. My tractor is a 235 Bobcat. I will post some pics showing my lift system. The first two pics are of my hinge, the last two pics of are my first attempt to mount my cylinder. I was planning to add more braces than in the pics. I have been using air pressure to try out my lift range.

Attachments

• Dump Trailer 021.jpg
    Dump Trailer 021.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 2,073
  • Dump Trailer 018.jpg
    Dump Trailer 018.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 2,501
  • Dump Trailer 017.jpg
    Dump Trailer 017.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 1,643
  • Dump Trailer 015.jpg
    Dump Trailer 015.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 1,681
   / My dump trailer build
After some experimenting, this is what I have decided on for the bracing and cylinder mounts. I may add some more bracing on the front (lower) cylinder mount. At this stage, everything is only tack welded, so I can still take things apart and make changes if I have to. I never thought I would have to build the lift system this heavy, but dumping the trailer puts a lot more stress on the frame than I expected. I was trying to avoid using a hoist, rather lift with only a cylinder, but a hoist might have been a better option.

Attachments

• Dump Trailer 023.jpg
    Dump Trailer 023.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 2,394
  • Dump Trailer 024.jpg
    Dump Trailer 024.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 9,680
  • Dump Trailer 025.jpg
    Dump Trailer 025.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 3,200
   / My dump trailer build #8  
When the box is down what angle is the cyl. pushing up at. I am learning that the cyl. doesn't have much lifting force if the cyl. angle is under 10.deg.
Bill

/ My dump trailer build #9  
Doggone it Hooked, took the words right out of my mouth! I'm in the process myself of a dump trailer. and I'm flumexed on a lift geometry! ~Scotty

/ My dump trailer build
When the box is down what angle is the cyl. pushing up at. I am learning that the cyl. doesn't have much lifting force if the cyl. angle is under 10.deg.
Bill

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the right angle. The way I have it set up now seems to work, but I have not tried to lift box with a load yet. I have been using compressed air to lift box, but hope to get hydraulic hoses made today, so I can accually lift the box with the tractor. My lower cylinder mount is just tacked in place, so I can still move it if needed.I will check the angle of my cylinder and let you know tonight.- Greg