BALLAST BOX BUILD

/ BALLAST BOX BUILD #21  
Here are a few pics of my box before paint. I was planning to paint it the way it is,but a friend and coworker who knows bodywork offered to "mud" the welds and spray it for me. So I went to the JD dealer and bought a quart of paint,thinner and hardener.......70.00...ouch! Paint wasn't bad,the hardener was the most...40.00!! Enough for a gallon though.

I made the box out of leftover 1/2"x12" cold rolled. The box tubing is 1-1/2 square with 1/4" wall. The pipes are 2" schedule 40. The pieces of angle are 3"x3"x1/2". I cut 1" off so it would be flush with the edge. The box measures 24" wide,18" deep,and 24" high. The box weighs 380lbs......empty!!

For the side pins, I'm using 1"x5-1/2-8 bolts with a piece of 1" schedule 40 pipe over the bolts for bushings. The OD of the pipe will give me just about 1-1/2". I cut the threads off a bolt and drilled a hole in the end for a 7/16" locking linch pin for the top pin. I also added a piece of 3/4"x3"x4" inside the box to give me 1-1/4" for the threaded side holes.
Comments good or bad are welcome:)

Greg

Great job on the box!! I'd call it first class welding, So, when are you coming to the Virgin Islands ( St Croix )?? I have a Miller 301 trailblazer welder that I bought as a back up generator for my house. We have been known to loose power for weeks when a hurricane passes by to visit, so I decided buying a generator was a waste of time because they just sit there waiting for the next outage. But A welder!!!!!! yepppppy!! I can learn to weld!! and this way the machine stays maintained for when you need it most.

I will let you use it to build my BB when you get here and I will kick in as many deep sea fishing trips as you can stand as a bonus!! Soooo!! question is!! When ya coming down???? I need a good welding instructor!!

Wooden

/ BALLAST BOX BUILD #22  
Nice job making my 55 gallon drum ballast weight look pitiful. Seriously though, nice job.

/ BALLAST BOX BUILD #23  
I know I live close...... :) Can u beat the JD prices....???:thumbsup: