Compare Chineese Lathes

/ Compare Chineese Lathes #41  
If you are doing general work and have lots of time 3 in 1, I have a bridgeport clone (not Chineese) and works great, heavy cuts and fine cuts with no problem a DRO is a must, for a lathe a TOS 18 x 60, large and accurate, it will turn a 1/4 inch pin but I can put a driveshaft in the spindle, it has a 3 inch hole thro, if I work on shafts a plus, I paid 4K for the whole shop, tooling included over 4 years but never look back, I have a Hardinge lathe but it rarely get used, all machines are 3 phase, the TOS is clutch drive, great for slow start or instant reverse but I start the motor on set of capacitors and it becomes my rotophase converter, I run the mill 440v 3phase, drill 220 3 phase and a ironworker 600v 3 phase with the use of a transformer

just my 2cents worth

/ Compare Chineese Lathes
Guglio
Great photos, thanks, amazing what you have done with that little machine.

The very first picture is an eye opener for me as I now have to rethink where I am going to place the machine. The way the cross feed table is set up on a 3 in 1 I see I should not place it along a wall like a typical lathe. I would not have the clearance to work a long piece perpendicular to the lathe ways like you were able to do.

/ Compare Chineese Lathes #43  
Using the lathe:

True up the end of a 3" dia round then counter bore. Notice the second smaller inside counter bore for that recessed 1/4-20 SHCS?

Modifying store bought 1" pins and turn them into custom grease-able pins:

The following lathe project is a little more complicated. A TBN member asked me to help fix a broken hub for his late Dads 12" bench top disk sander. Look closely at the first pic and you might notice the broken hub in the lower right? Then notice in the lower center of the first pic an inside keyed coupler. That coupler had to be turned down to press fit inside the hub that's in the lathe.

The hub in the lathe was somewhat of a match to the original, but needed extensive modification in order to get it to fit the broken disc sander. First was to turn off the surface to make it flat and get the thickness to that of the OEM hub.

Next was to bore out the ID of the replacement hub to accept a press fit of the new keyed shaft. I got the ID of the new hub to 1.300" and the OD of the press fit shaft to 1.302". Let there be no doubt you can do accurate lathe work on this machine:

After press fitting the coupling inside the ID of the new hub and some additional lathe work:

After all that and more it was time to use a live center to transfer holes from the 12" disc to the newly made hub:

I guess the point of all this is you can use a 3in1 to make and modify "stuff". There not as bad as some might lead you to believe. Like laurencen just said "general work and lots of time". And of course some ingenuity and creativity in coming up with the "rigging" to clamp stuff to the table and at the right height.

Larry

/ Compare Chineese Lathes #45  
I am also guilty of buying a Chinese Combo Mill Lathe as pictured in one of the other posts. Larry summed up the same issue I have had. Even though its a lightweight as mills go, it was still a struggle to get it into my shed at 600lbs. Whats nice about the lathe is you have a very large swing over the bed so if your patient, you can turn something you would need a very large. Also the table can be powered on two axis (one at a time) by the machine. I have never tried to figure out how to make threads, looks like a highschool math exam so I just buy my threaded rod.

/ Compare Chineese Lathes #46  
Guglio, would you mind posting a picture of your sharpening setup? As of now I sharpen free hand on a grinder and would like to do better than that.

Thanks!

/ Compare Chineese Lathes #47  
I just got an email from Enco - they opened an outlet - I am not affiliated with Enco, just sharing:D

/ Compare Chineese Lathes #48  
Guglio, would you mind posting a picture of your sharpening setup? As of now I sharpen free hand on a grinder and would like to do better than that.

Thanks!

Hi Prokop,

Sorry to say my sharpening "technique" and setup are the same as yours! :eek:. Posting pictures of my bench grinders would not be to exciting. It may be crude but it works right?

That's great news you now have an Enco outlet nearby. Now you wont have to worry about what to do with all that money burning a hole in your pocket ;)

Larry

/ Compare Chineese Lathes #49  
GuglioLS,
Nice job with your projects, as well the photo record!
Thank you for sharing!

/ Compare Chineese Lathes #50  
I have never tried to figure out how to make threads, looks like a highschool math exam so I just buy my threaded rod.

Do these machines have a threading dial on the lathe? The second thing I made on my lathe had threads and I made a few more pieces after that. There are some threading videos on youtube that help. Overall I found it is not as hard as it is made out to be for short pieces. Takes lots of small passes so I would probably buy threaded rod as well if that is all I needed.

I found the MIT TechTV Machine Tool videos to be helpful for basic machine knowledge and some ideas on how to do things. Here is the one for Lathes, other videos cover mills, basic power tools etc.

MIT TechTV – Machine Shop 8