Plasma cutter isn't working right...help?

/ Plasma cutter isn't working right...help? #1  

POC

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3215 4x4
My plasma cutter won't cut.
The air comes out, but the spark only sparks sometimes. So I don't get a nice even cut, I get holes in a line....any thoughts?

I'll try to post some pics or maybe a movie...

Patrick

/ Plasma cutter isn't working right...help? #2  
Bad ground, worn out parts in the torch all all I can come up with.

/ Plasma cutter isn't working right...help? #3  
" Bad ground, worn out parts in the torch "

I agree, dirty material is also a possibility.

E/S

/ Plasma cutter isn't working right...help? #4  
Wish I could help but I just got through the demo. The one I want is two k and a little out of my budget for now. The hypertherm model worked great. We cut aluminum, stainless, and iron. Had a couple pop backs and it quit when I moved the head too fast for the thickness of the material.

/ Plasma cutter isn't working right...help? #5  
First guess would be ground. That's usually identified when trying to start a cut and the torch starts but after a second or two quits. I've bumped the ground when cutting and had it quit mid-cut too.

Sporatic cuts that are continuous but sometimes don't go thru the metal are usually caused by going too fast.

There's too many variables to tell you the correct cutting speed, machine capability, tip condition, metal thickness, metal quality, etc., etc. With my Miller 625 extreme cutting too fast results in skips where it doesn't cut clear thru. Too slow results in slag on the bottom side of the cut. On metals 1/4" or less the perfect speed results in a perfect cut with minimal slag. Practice, practice, practice. :)

/ Plasma cutter isn't working right...help? #6  
Air supply not dry. Moisture will do wonders (unfortunately not good) to your cuts.

Good luck.

/ Plasma cutter isn't working right...help? #7  
My neighbor has one of them plasma machines and he has a lot of trouble with his too.

He was sayin a lot of them machnes came with defective flux capacitors made in China. That causes the machine to spit and sputter when ya try cuttin with it.

/ Plasma cutter isn't working right...help? #8  
My neighbor has one of them plasma machines and he has a lot of trouble with his too.

He was sayin a lot of them machnes came with defective flux capacitors made in China. That causes the machine to spit and sputter when ya try cuttin with it.

Yeah, ya definitely get what you pay for.

/ Plasma cutter isn't working right...help? #9  

Yeh, I hear they are installing substandard frangess valves too.:rolleyes: