Tractor Cab built from PVC

/ Tractor Cab built from PVC #1  

cdcole

Silver Member
Tractor
TC25D
I finally got around to getting to this project. One weekend. Last thing is to put the metal roof over the plywood. I can't remember the gentleman's name - Scooby? Anyhow, he inspired me. Also, the freezing thighs, face full of snow and my ski goggles getting abused convinced me to do this. Thanks for the inspiration gents! :)

Attachments

• colecab.jpg
    colecab.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 3,868
   / Tractor Cab built from PVC #3  
I've considered something similar. Any idea at what temperature the PVC gets brittle? How did you end up attaching the plastic to the pipe? It appears that you started with Velcro and ended up just using tape?

All in all it looks like a good light duty cab.

/ Tractor Cab built from PVC #4  
I sent you a PM, did you still have the oliver cab?

/ Tractor Cab built from PVC #5  
How much did you spend $ and time on putting this together?
how do you keep the pipe from scratching the heck out of your finders?

/ Tractor Cab built from PVC #6  
Great I had thought about doing something like that but not up to yours good job !!!

I was wondering about cost !!!
I did use some 3/4 off my heater for the windshield defroster works fine !!

/ Tractor Cab built from PVC #7  
Nice job cd !!! I think I'll be looking at this a little more,maybe next year.
Where there's a will,there's a way! ;)

/ Tractor Cab built from PVC
Here are the answers to the questions:
1) I put 1/2" thick weather stripping stuck to the PVC where ever it would touch the fenders or hood - thereby avoiding scratches. It will likely still leave a "buff" mark after a season of use.
2) Total cost: PVC $65 - (basically (7) 10 footers and all of the elbows, everything 1 and 1/2" pipe except the door which is 1"). Garage door opener - $15 on sale at Home Depot. Plexiglass or whatever the material - $20 off of Craigslist, Strobe off of ebay (used) $30 and pipe and flange mount was about $8. Screws - $3.50. Clear plastic - $~25 from Home Depot (enough to do it twice or maybe 3 times), switch and wire for strobe - just laying in the barn, plywood and 3/4" boards - laying in basement, Weather stripping for between plastic and PVC - 3 rolls $12, Velcro - $8 so......the grand total was about $175. The metal roof which I will put over the wood is laying under a foot of snow down by my pole barn (leftover from the barn construction). I would count on $200 and you should be safe.
3) The Oliver Cab is not mine - it was someone elses on Craigslist - I walked on that deal and am glad I did. This cab is light and has no effects on the machine that I can see (relative to center of mass, safety or other).
4) Yep, the velcro failed at 10 degrees F - the sticky back pealed off the PVC. Gorrilla tape survived at this temperature. Should use snaps - might still do that if the tape fails.
5) Note - I intentionally cut the plastic beyond the door frame to leave a flap for a halfway decent seal.
6) I used an old foam mattress for the pieces behind the pedals next to the hood. Two pieces about 8" by 15" by 6" thick. Blocks the wind but does not interfere with pedals
7) The PVC did not get brittle - I tried running over a piece at 10F in the drive and it collapsed a little but did not break.
8) You can bend the PVC without burning its surface - I was just in too much of a hurry and using my salamander style heater. Stay away from the fumes and have adequate ventilation. After bending to shape I took the pipe outside of the garage where it immediately hardened.

/ Tractor Cab built from PVC
Gents, I must say that I was surprised at the difference. Last time I blew snow I just had a t-shirt and wool sweater on. I wore some light cotton gloves and my uninsulated boots and blew snow for about 45 min. and felt comfortable at about 30F. The wind was gone - the snow in the face was gone. By the way - here is a picture of the door. Note that the clear plastic should not be cut at the hinge...just let it bend with the hinge. Also, I bent the pvc for the door such that it sticks when closed without a latch.

Attachments

• cabdoor.jpg
    cabdoor.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,775
   / Tractor Cab built from PVC #10  
*Poor tractor*