yard rake using grader blade

/ yard rake using grader blade #1  

Mosey

Veteran Member
Tractor
2000 New Holland TC29D with 7308 FEL, and top & tilt. 1950 John Deere B. 1940 Farmall A.
Has anyone adapted their grader blade to be used as a yard rake (landscape rake)? I'm thinking that most of the hardware that's on a yard rake is already on a grader blade. All I need is some way of attaching some tines (so they could come on and off fairly easily) and whala, I have a yard rake! Are those tines expensive if bought individually?

/ yard rake using grader blade #2  
Mosey,
I've thought the same thing myself, but haven't given it any serious thought! Hopefully there is some experience out there to help us!

/ yard rake using grader blade #3  
Many manufacturers use the same hitch frame for light blades and their landscape rakes. If you contact the maker of your blade, they may have a kit available to do just what you want.

/ yard rake using grader blade
JimMc - I'll look into that. It's going to cost too much to buy individual teeth (or tines). I checked with Farm Star (which is the brand of grader blade I have) and they charge over $9 each. I called KingKutter and they get over $7 each. So, it would cost about $260 for enough (36) to make a 6' rake using the KK ones. I can buy a new KK 6' rake for $320.

/ yard rake using grader blade #5  
So Jim, Does that mean that First Choice has a kit available? Since I have both items on my 'need list' I would definitely be interested.

/ yard rake using grader blade #6  
Although we do not have a model number assigned, our rake does interchange with our rear blade. The question of asking dealers to carry spare blade or rake components may be another matter, however. But it could always be handled on a custom order or repair parts basis.

/ yard rake using grader blade
I was at TSC this weekend and found that they have some rake teeth for agriculture type rakes (for windrowing hay, etc.) for 79 cents each. They're made of wire about 1/8" in dia and are spring loaded with a coil near the top. It wouldn't be as heavy duty as a regular yard/landscape rake, but for my purposes they would be just right. I just want something pick up debris and to grove the soil in preparation for seeding. I use my grader blade for grading the drive and things like that.

So, I could get 72 of them and mount them 1 inch apart on a piece of flat steel for under $75. It could come on and off the grader blade with a bolt at each end. The hard part is going to be finding 72 of them, since TSC only had about 25 in stock. I'll check and see if I can special order more.

/ yard rake using grader blade #8  
I made a rock rake using an angle iron frame and cut
trunk lid torsion bars for teeth. I drilled through 2" box
tubing added a small angle iron on top and welded in the
teeth this way the weld did not affect the treated teeth

/ yard rake using grader blade #9  
Danny,

I have a scraper blade too and was looking at it a year ago when I borrowed a landscape rake, thinking there is a way to do this..

I like the spring tooth idea, but just a thought, the round coil at the top put on a round pipe the same diameter (thats the way the hay rakes work) - there should be a hole for a screw/bolt in the tine, bolt these on to the pipe then put two brackets on the back of the scraper blade with bolts then in use you fold it down and when not fold up.. I am thinking maybe a support bracket in the middle might help too.

Thanks

Carl

/ yard rake using grader blade #10  
Mosey...

Can't give any specifics on adding tines to a grader blade or a grader blade to a rake, but I have a Frontier 1172 rake/blade combo (made by Woods) that works great. See attached.

Bob

Attachments

• 53-190005-1172rakewblade.jpg
    53-190005-1172rakewblade.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 1,021