Four wheel steer wagon

/ Four wheel steer wagon #1  

wroughtn_harv

Tractor
2013 Volvo MC85C
I got my new welder. It weighs dry two hundred and seventy pounds. Then you add a hundred and sixty for the bottle of gas. Plus forty four for the wire. Heavy in a nutshell.

And you see there's this problem. Shop's for storing tools not working with them. The work area is full of projects and has a gravel floor.

The built in cart that comes with the welder is finer'n frog hair on a nice smooth concrete floor. I ain't got that. So I went down to TSC and picked up four of then four ninety nine pnuematic wheels and some four and a half inch by five eighths bolts.

A wagon style cart has one big disadvantage. You have to swing real wide to get around things. And in the work area I've got entirely too many things to get around for a conventional wagon style cart.

So I made it quick and simple four wheel steer.

Attachments

• 53-179816-MVC-011F.JPG
    53-179816-MVC-011F.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,599
   / Four wheel steer wagon
That rooster in the picture is Scrapper. He's a toot. He's a pet. One of these days I'm gonna snap a picture and post it here for ya'll to see the look he gets on his face when the lab starts giving him a tongue lashing.

Disgust, just plain old disgust, check out the wagon.

Attachments

• 53-179817-MVC-012F.JPG
    53-179817-MVC-012F.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 1,752
   / Four wheel steer wagon
You know if I had a cow I could probably tell ya'll a cock and bull story about my shop. But I don't so I won't. Another look at the other way to turn.

Attachments

• 53-179818-MVC-013F.JPG
    53-179818-MVC-013F.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 1,278
   / Four wheel steer wagon
Now I know most of ya'll wouldn't do it quite this simple with just that bar between the axles to make it four wheel steer. And I could have done the thingy with the knuckles at each end where the axles stay in place and only the wheels turn. You know, the compound linkages and such. But I'm a simple sort. Sorta like this.

Attachments

• 53-179821-MVC-014F.JPG
    53-179821-MVC-014F.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 819
   / Four wheel steer wagon #5  
Looks like a neat idea, Harv, and I know you know a lot more about that sort of thing than I, but are you not worried about it turning over on the outside side of the turn when it has that much weight on it?

/ Four wheel steer wagon
<font color=blue>but are you not worried about it turning over on the outside side of the turn when it has that much weight on it?</font color=blue>

That is a concern. I have the welder on it now and have tried some tight turns. It hasn't acted like it wants to go over. But just in case, you see that regulator and tank neck could be damaged in a turnover, I'm building a double roll bar over the tank area. Safe than sorry one oh one in action.

I imagine I'll design a better one when there's time or it becomes urgent.

The design insn't original. I have a bud that's bonkers on cars. He's got a custom wagon for swap meeting that's a total gem with this design. I was so impressed with his I did a copy the very first chance I got. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Four wheel steer wagon #7  
Thats what I was thinking also. Maybe a set of stabilizers. Actually Harv. I was half expecting something with hydraulic steering, you know articulated or maybe a mini skid steer. Yeah a mini skid steer with tracks. Or better yet an air cushion carryall platform. Ooops there I go again, my mind slipped out of gear and ran away with itself.

Have fun with the new toy. By the way what type did you get?

/ Four wheel steer wagon #8  
The lumber yards around here use carts with swivel casters on each end and two stationary wheels in the center that are just a little bit lower. The cart sits on the two stationary wheels in the center and the casters on one end or the other. They are very maneuverable. Just a thought.

Not picking it looks very nice. But is the rod that runs between the axles strong enough for what I would call a right hand turn with a load on it. That would be when the rod has to push the rear axle to turn. Can't really see it that well.

By the way I just used your reese hitch mounting technique to make a stand for my newly acquired tubing bender. Works good when used with a TPH mounted hitch. Makes it adjustable up, dow, and tilt.

/ Four wheel steer wagon #9  
Nice looking wagon, that's a neat way of turning the rear wheels, nice and simple.

Looks like you have a few "crow bars" around the place too. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Randy

/ Four wheel steer wagon #10  
Curious about this picture. Is it suppose to have the cart with the welder on it? Or is there something I am missing, and should be seeing besides the truck in the background and the fancy railing with scrollwork in the foreground. I was looking for a pic with the welder and tanks on the wagon. I like your idea, but was concerned about the tipping as was Bird. Sounds like you have that worked out tho, and its not a problem.