EMT Conduit crimping tool to make tent poles

/ EMT Conduit crimping tool to make tent poles #21  
If you have access to a lathe with a collet closer, you could use that to crimp down the ends. I've done it with smaller tubing. Start by just closing down on about 1/8" of the end. Then advance 1/8" at a time. Then go back to the end, tighten the collet some more, and close down again 1/8" at a time, untill you reach the size you need.

/ EMT Conduit crimping tool to make tent poles #22  
My 5 C collet closer would never swage a tube down enough to insert it into the same size. They are made to deflect thin tubing less than a 3, 4 or 6 jaw chuck.

I do have a tube beading tool that I built that might work on stopping a smaller diameter from going into a larger one.

I have only used it for keeping hoses on though. I have used it with copper, steel, aluminum and stainless. It only goes down to 7/16" but can go up to any diameter. The largest diameter stuff I have used it on has been for turbo pluming, 6".

This is what the results look like with EMT

Attachments

• IMG_20131224_235625_811.jpg
    IMG_20131224_235625_811.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 469
   / EMT Conduit crimping tool to make tent poles #23  
I know most guys don't have the access to one but a hydraulic hose crimper does a fine job of making tent poles type ends on all kinds of pipe and emt conduit......been doing if for years
This sounds like a good idea.

/ EMT Conduit crimping tool to make tent poles #24  
jwmorris said:
My 5 C collet closer would never swage a tube down enough to insert it into the same size. They are made to deflect thin tubing less than a 3, 4 or 6 jaw chuck.
Are you sure? Tried it? The trick is to start at the very end, so you are concentrating the force on a small area, and work your way slowly allong the tube. You will need to make several passes. And the seam inside the EMT will mean you need to crimp the end down even more.
You can only go so far with one collet, then switch to the next 64th smaller and start over.

Last edited:
   / EMT Conduit crimping tool to make tent poles #25  
Wow its real simple heat the conduct red hot clamped in a vice use a $20.00 swedge tool to open up one end ! DONE
I guess most of you have not heard of the KISS it method , keep it simple stupid.
Sounds like most of you work for the government. over complementing the simple

Says the knucklehead who bumped a 2.5 year old thread....

/ EMT Conduit crimping tool to make tent poles #26  

I do have a tube beading tool that I built that might work on stopping a smaller diameter from going into a larger one.

I have only used it for keeping hoses on though. I have used it with copper, steel, aluminum and stainless. It only goes down to 7/16" but can go up to any diameter. The largest diameter stuff I have used it on has been for turbo pluming, 6".

This is what the results look like with EMT

Niiice, that looks like something I need..!!

/ EMT Conduit crimping tool to make tent poles #27  
I will be honest and admit that I have never actually tried it but I do use my collet closer on my lathe to machine .025" wall thickness aluminum tubing without distortion. Even locked in "really good" it doesn't change the ID or OD, I am sure at some point it would shrink the tube but it would be beyond the amount of force I would use on something that cost me much.

I am interested in the idea though and am wondering if the shape couldn't be formed by roll forming like the inverse of a brass instrument "bell" on a lathe with a mandrel.

Are you sure? Tried it? The trick is to start at the very end, so you are concentrating the force on a small area, and work your way slowly allong the tube. You will need to make several passes. And the seam inside the EMT will mean you need to crimp the end down even more.
You can only go so far with one collet, then switch to the next 64th smaller and start over.

/ EMT Conduit crimping tool to make tent poles #28  
Wow its real simple heat the conduct red hot clamped in a vice use a $20.00 swedge tool to open up one end ! DONE
I guess most of you have not heard of the KISS it method , keep it simple stupid.
Sounds like most of you work for the government. over complementing the simple

Says the knucklehead who bumped a 2.5 year old thread....

:laughing::laughing:

/ EMT Conduit crimping tool to make tent poles #29  
Maybe we can ask the OP if he found a solution since it was almost 4 years ago. If I wanted to do it I would do it in two stages. The first would be to make two indentations 180 degrees apart so when the tube is crimped the excess will go towards the center and not squish out. Then a simple die is all that's needed. Nothing that couldn't be made with some scrap steel, a drill press, and a hydraulic press.