Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    4100/410

Default EMT Conduit crimping tool to make tent poles

Does such a thing exist? I want to crimp the end of 1/2 or 3/4 inch conduit so it slides 3-4 inches inside of the next piece like tent poles slide together. If it is made whats it called?

Thanks
    Dan

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Satoh Beaver,Buck,Iseki Farmbos

Default Re: EMT Conduit crimping tool to make tent poles

Quote Originally Posted by acs55812 View Post
    Does such a thing exist? I want to crimp the end of 1/2 or 3/4 inch conduit so it slides 3-4 inches inside of the next piece like tent poles slide together. If it is made whats it called?

Thanks
    Dan
    There is a sheet metal tool that crimps the ends of HVAC pipes, but I don't think it would be small or strong enough to crimp EMT. Why not use EMT couplings?

Have you considered chainlink fence rails for your project? They at least come with those ends already on them...

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2006 Kama554; 92 Belarus 250AS

I think tube expanders are more common. There are plumber versions for copper and exhaust shop versions for exhaust tubing. I don't think there is anything available for EMT, especially that would do 3-4". If there is it will be $$$

Easiest for a small project is EMT couplings or if the next bigger/smaller size nests well you can weld a stub to the end of each stick. Good ventilation is required to weld galvanized metal. I've welded emt using a wire welder with CO2. You have to pretty much stitch weld to avoid burning through.

Huth Mitey Mate Portable Expander at Van Sant Enterprises, Inc
    2006 Kama 554, 92 Belarus 250AS, Bombardier Outlander Max 400.

Elite Member

You might ask your local muffler shop if they have the dies or whatever you call the things in the size you need to crimp EMT.

The portable garage things I've seen look like they use straight runs of poles, but the connectors appear to have been expanded outward or were a larger internal diameter to start with. You can buy the connectors on line, but I think they are sort of pricey.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD 4020

can you find a tube or pipe of smaller diameter and put in side the conduit and then either tack weld or bolt it in place, if necessary would a wood dowel work for this application, one could secure it with a few screws,

I think what you would be looking for is called a swage, but unless you could find one and have it done, I doubt if it would be practical to buy for one project,

I think one could make some thing for a shop press, consisting of a die and some type of anvil to form up against that would insert inside,

if would most likely have to crimp a section and then reduce the size of the diameter of the tube, and the inside anvil would then support the forming of the smaller diameter,
    I did some quick looking and with out crimping I see there are spinning swages, that would stretch the metal and from a smaller diameter in the process,

I am sure there is some type of basic machine out there for this process, but I am sure it is not home owner or small shop affordable,

here is a page, and click on the link for the warm forging process, http://www.ptsco.com/swaging.html

the only other thing I can think of right now is to see if some one who has a hydraulic hose crimping machine would be willing to try to use there crimping dies and see if it would reduce the size of the tube with out crushing and then if it would be deep enough or if one could feed in a few times to extend the depth of the reduced end.

here is a diagram of how some work, http://www.jbscepko.com/swage_diag.htm or http://www.jbscepko.com/
    Last edited by BHD; 02-03-2010 at 08:51 PM.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Ford 555 TLB, Xtra-Vator, pallet forks; Caterpillar 12 Motor Grader; FABTEK aerial platform

Although its been many years since I've seen them being used, there are (or at least used to be) crimp on couplings and connectors for emt. The crimpers used on those fittings were about the size of a pair of channel lock pliers.

Tractor
    yanmar YM-1700

I'm not sure if this has been mention? you could take the next size smaller pipe cut 6-7" pc slide into one end drill through the part you want to become permanent, then turn pipe 1/4 turn and spot weld the hole closed, then you would have the reduce end to make the connection with to the next pipe, of course then cleanup and taper all ends with a grinder or belt sander,
    Never judge a man until you've walked a day in his shoes,

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

Swaging tools expand the tube like theses. Scroll down the page.

Amazon.com: swaging tool

Although I would not be surprised if you tried to expand EMT it might split.

I have an ice fishing tent that uses conduit for the poles. The factory shrank the conduit on the end to fit it into the other poles. (here is a link to their parts page). On the roof tubes you can see one piece is called the Plain End and the other is called the Formed End. Somehow they crimp it down to fit inside the plain end. You might want to give them a call to ask how they do it, but my guess is they have some hydraulic monster jig machine that pops them out by the dozens.
    MossRoad

Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!

Gold Member

FarmTek used to carry them but I couldn't find it in their online catalog and threw away the latest paper catalog I received. Try contacting them.

As I recall it was cheaper to just get the conduit from them than to buy the tool and do it yourself.

Closeout Galvanized Conduit - FarmTek

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast