Stump grinder build Idea.

/ Stump grinder build Idea. #1  

xrjohndeere

Gold Member
Tractor
2021 Kubota L4060 HST
I have been cutting wood and fighting stumps.. I decided I am going to build a stump grinder. I could buy one but what is the fun in that. Let me run this idea by you guys and see what you think. This is my plan. I am going to use an old manual flywheel off some sort of big engine.. As I recall most of them are about half to one inch thick. This will save me the trouble of cutting and truing a wheel.. I will drill and tap the flywheel for replaceable cutter teeth on the mill. I need help in locating the gear box. My buddy has a woods, I might just use the same gear box on a pto slip clutch. I considered using a hydraulic motor but I am pretty sure the JD 4520 will not have enough hydraulic flow to do much good.
I want to build the grinder so it hooks up like my backhoe onto the backhoe mounting plates. I am going to build a platform like my backhoe with the out riggers, seat. ,etc. I am going use the power beyond hydraulics to run a hyrdaulic valve system just like my backhoe so I can run the cutter up and down, side to side, and in and out. I want to be able to set up in one place and cut the whole **** stump without moving. I know there are a lot simpler setups but I want something that is different, easy to use and functional. I can not tolerate having to set in the tractor seat and look behind me like a regular 3pt implement. Ok what do you guys think? I know this is going to be a big project but it will be interesting. Let the ideas fly.

/ Stump grinder build Idea. #2  
Can't help with any ideas, that's over my head. When you get it built, I have some hedge stumps that need grinding. :)

/ Stump grinder build Idea. #3  
It would be nice if you could find an old stump grinder for scrap and salvage some of the components, like the cutter wheel, drive assembly, etc.

Please keep us posted with lots of comments and pictures.

/ Stump grinder build Idea. #4  
I've built one about 6-7 yrs ago.It's got a gear box off some sort of old implement,Not sure what it's off as my neighbour had it laying around and gave me a bunch of stuff when he was cleaning up his yard.Anyway I made it fit onto the back of my MF 1655 3 pth with pto rpm of 1800. I think it's about a 2-1 ratio so it whips the blade pretty good.For the bale I used one 3/8" x 12" round plate and one 1/4" x 12" round plate. I then sandwich 6 carbide lathe bits between the plate's. I need to use 3 right and 3 left bit's. Leave two straigth,bend two one way and two the other way. They are also not only sandwished between the two plates there also sandwiched between two 1/2" square rods on each side which keeps them in place,There's a 1/2" hole drill thu both plates and part way thu the bit as well like a notch in the bit to keep it from flying out. Have a guard build right around the wheel as well for protection. Have used it on hundreds of stumps over the yrs'. It's moved by tractor movement back and forth as well sideways and lower and raise on the 3pth. Going to change it this spring going to mount it onto the front my my MF gc2300 going to make a side shift so that all I'll need to do is move the tractor back or forth and use the side shift for side to side and with it being mounted on the front quick hitch that'll raise and lower it.I haven't any pictures of it but once it warms up and I get to it I'll start taking and posting.Larry:D

/ Stump grinder build Idea. #5  
Thanks for all the good ideas!!!!

This has me thinking about that 5' shredder that my tractor can't lift or use........

Hmm, remove gearbox, rotate 90*, install wheel with teeth = WHAMO! Stump grinder.

/ Stump grinder build Idea. #6  
Take a look at Green Manufacturing for your tooth and pocket selection. Green Manufacturing

/ Stump grinder build Idea. #7  
xrjohndeere- hmm interesting idea. First off- I want to state I have a kubota with simalar setup as your JD. The only issue I see is how are you going to transfer power from PTO through the frame of BH to the stump grinder?

Perhaps you can still look into the hydraulic motor idea? just remove the bucket and attach a motorhead connected to a cutterhead. Instead of worrying about the ability to have enough flow, why not size up the cutter head to the flow rate? 4" cutter maybe? granted it may not be as bigand fast you like, but it would get job done. ;)

/ Stump grinder build Idea. #8  
Massey driver,
Can you post some pictures or your machine?

It sound's like yours is quite robust.

/ Stump grinder build Idea. #9  
Sorry, somehow I read over your comment about posting pics later.:D

/ Stump grinder build Idea. #10  
I don't know how big a wheel you are looking for, but the wheel out of an old ensilage chopper might be a good start. Mine is fairly large in diameter but it seems you could replace the cutters with teeth...