question about tracked vehicle

/ question about tracked vehicle #11  
Same idea as turning brakes on a tractor.

/ question about tracked vehicle #12  
The open diff will work, but for how long?

There will be a few things going on in your differential that weren't taking place when the axle was in a (Jeep?).

Mainly, the spider gears, which carry the entire torque load and facillitate the differential action, are designed to react to steering action rather than provide it.
That's a significant factor, since the steering action will amount to shock loading the spider gears on a constant basis.
Are those tiny spider gears engineered to last in that condition?

I doubt it.

I guess if your sprockets are a bolt on design-making an axle change relatively painless-then maybe you could roll the dice and prove me wrong.
There must've been a million of those Cherokees built, usually with a Dana 30/35 axle.

/ question about tracked vehicle #13  
In '68 out of Fairbanks I drove a Thiokol "pickup" personnel carrier that had a Ford Falcon 6 cyl gas engine, then dry clutch, then band parking brake, then transmission, then driveshaft to rear. I'm pretty sure the rear was open. Steering was by brakes on either track, lever operated as I recall, foot clutch and throttle. It tracked pretty straight, and I don't think the diff was anything special. I found one similar on another forum: http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=3587
Main problem was that e-brake between clutch and tranny, since you couldn't run the engine with the trans in gear and the brake on then let the clutch out, like starting on a hill. It was a gutless engine at low rpms, too, and I just didn't have enough limbs.
The Jeep rear might not take the loads, just depends on how heavy a rig you plan on building. As stated, hydraulics would have many advantages.
Jim

Last edited:
   / question about tracked vehicle #14  
It should work fine. I have a Case 310 dozer. It uses an open center differential with steering levers to control brakes on each side. Works fine, travels straight under no load. If I'm pushing something off center, it wants to turn toward the load (if I remember right). It's easy to compensate with the steering levers (brakes).

Bob

/ question about tracked vehicle #15  
   / question about tracked vehicle #16  
A more modern machine that you might want to check out is the Ripsaw. It is not quite the direction that you were targeting, but I thought you might be curious. Some neat videos on YouTube.

ripsaw1.jpg

/ question about tracked vehicle #17  
Back some 30 years ago or so, an outfit used to sell a tracked unit that you could tow to the worksite, remove the towing wheels and tongue, drive your truck up on top of it with ramps, then secure the vehicle down and drive the tracks with a chain drive setup from the rear axles. I think (can't remember exactly) you removed the rear tires (with the back end up on blocks) and bolted a chain sprocket to the axle shaft using the wheel studs. This gave a gear reduction that was necessary to provide the needed torque to run the power hungry tracks. Steering was done with the trucks brakes with the addition of two electric solenoids (like the LineLocks some drag racers use), one in each individual brake line to the rear wheels. Push the corresponding button (installed on the steering wheel), stand on the brake pedal, and it blocked the fluid from flowing to the brake on that side forcing the unit to drive from one track only and turn. Pricey too! I think they were around $20,000 back in the late seventies.

/ question about tracked vehicle #18  
A more modern machine that you might want to check out is the Ripsaw. It is not quite the direction that you were targeting, but I thought you might be curious. Some neat videos on YouTube.

View attachment 155148

Wow. Ripsaw has come a long way in the past few years. I've watched a lot of those videos, but the picture you posted shows a more refined machine.

/ question about tracked vehicle #19  
75 mph and $650,000 prototype is what I found.

There was a thread here about converting a lawn tractor into a minidozer recently in which one of the other posters suggested using an old skid steer because of the independent drive motors and chain drive system already present.

/ question about tracked vehicle #20  
75 mph and $650,000 prototype is what I found.

There was a thread here about converting a lawn tractor into a minidozer recently in which one of the other posters suggested using an old skid steer because of the independent drive motors and chain drive system already present.

I've picked up a few old golf course reel mowers for dirt cheap. Each has multiple hydraulic pumps, hydraulic wheel motors, cylinders, valves and everything you need. I even have one with a running 35 HP Kubota diesel engine. I got it and another one for $250. I plan to someday take some of the parts to make a tracked vehicle.

It seems any golf course I've been to has at least one old mower sitting in the weeds behind the maintenance shed.