ONAN DNAD 60

/ ONAN DNAD 60 #1  

NhcoastalJ

Tractor
Kubota BX22
I recently purchased a Onan Cummins DNAD 60, 11.5 KW Diesel genset. The unit was manufactured in 2003 never installed and has less than an hour. It has the (Run / Off / 2-wire Remote) control panel. The previous owner also threw in a stainless steel 30 Gal tank and some 3 AWG wire. The tank was never used and has no connectors other than what is manufactured within the tank.

I have some questions regarding installation:

It has an intake preheater instead of glow plugs that is mounted but the electrical wire is not installed... Anyone know where it connects to?

Can brass NPT fittings be used on a stainless steel tank? or are there corrosion issues?

The wire is a 4 wire (Red/black/white/copper) The genset has grounding locations indicated and a double pole 50 amp breaker to connect to. Currently the set resides in my garage so it would not be grounded into the "ground" I plan to move it to a shed in the spring. I am not sure where the white/neutral wire connects to... any one know?

These are some pics of me getting it home.. and yes that is a VW GTI pulling it in a U-Haul trailer ONAN slideshow by emailstasko - Photobucket

Thanks for any help! or if you know of a site that would have some info that would be appreciated!

Thanks

/ ONAN DNAD 60 #2  
You didn't say if you are hooking it to a manual or automatic transfer switch and what DC voltage the starting system is. I have seen 24-28 volt versions of these. Anyway the intake air heater (in a manual system) would be switched to battery voltage (12 VDC or whatever) temporarily prior to cranking to start not hard wired to it.

You need to get an operators manual and an installation manual too (if separate) even if you have to pay for it.

There are controllers on the market that can automate that generator and in conjunction with an automatic transfer switch give you fully automatic function so even if power fails while you are away from home you won't lose a freezer full of food or lose power to the heater tapes protecting any of your plumbing and so forth.

If it were mine to install I would be looking for a larger fuel tank. You may not want to keep going out in whatever weather there might be to fuel it up, especially at say 2:30 AM.

I had made a couple comments to my wife that now that we had a fully automatic backup generator there weren't any power outages but there were plenty before I got it installed and wired up. Well, be careful what you wish for. We were on generator power for nearly 5 days and then a day later for several hours before the grid was solid again. What luxury! We had satellite TV, heated floors, lights, etc. A friend called as he was driving by going home from feeding a herd of cattle. We were the only lights in sight over his 14 mile drive except for his. I sold him a portable electric start generator (gasoline) after I got my automatic propane fired unit setup.

Pat

/ ONAN DNAD 60 #3  
This site sells them maybe they could get the manual for you.

http://www.generatorjoe.net/Product.asp?3=1772

Factory specs here.

http://www.generatorjoe.net/html/cumm/CUIN-011D302.pdf

How much did you pay? That type is my dream generator, having 4 pole head runs at 1800 RPM.

Should be efficient and long life span. Nice find.

I'm not sure about the grounding, but would think if you're using the 4 prong connection to home system you would have a good ground, It's probably always better to have the unit grounded independently though.

JB.

/ ONAN DNAD 60 #4  
If you want to do it right you will drive a ground rod at the generator site and connect the ground connection to that and the generator frame/chassis/enclosure too. I prefer to NOT connect the neutral to ground at the generator site but do whatever you need to to follow code where you are or the installation manual if you are not subject to code. Out here in the boonies where I am I built a three floor house with over 5K of living space plus a couple connected shops and a 3 car garage and the only permit I got was for my septic system. Amazing but scary. I insisted on code or better for everything but not everyone does. For your own peace of mind (and safety of all inhabitants), do it right.

Pat

/ ONAN DNAD 60
This site sells them maybe they could get the manual for you.

Industrial Generator, Cummins, DNAD, CUIN-011D302, Diesel

Factory specs here.

http://www.generatorjoe.net/html/cumm/CUIN-011D302.pdf

How much did you pay? That type is my dream generator, having 4 pole head runs at 1800 RPM.

Should be efficient and long life span. Nice find.

I'm not sure about the grounding, but would think if you're using the 4 prong connection to home system you would have a good ground, It's probably always better to have the unit grounded independently though.

JB.
Yes it was a good find in my head. I was looking over a year for this type of skid based unit. The seller had it advertised for $4995, but I got him down to $3,800 which included 50ft of 3 AWG copper wire, 30 gallon stainless steel belly tank. Plus he only lives 15mins from my house couldn't get more ideal then that!