My Carry All / wood hauler

/ My Carry All / wood hauler #1  

General Lee

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, L4400, BX1870
I built this box on a tractor supply brand carry all frame. Three sides are removable for whatever reason the may need to be, depending on what I am hauling.

IMG00110-20100221-1438.jpg

/ My Carry All / wood hauler #2  
Looking good.
How are the band boards (bottom frame) held together to take the torque of the upright sides? And are the corners of the upright walls fastened at the top?

Good wide boards, are you sawing your own or having your own logs sawn?

Looks like a good load of cherry firewood.

/ My Carry All / wood hauler
Looking good.
How are the band boards (bottom frame) held together to take the torque of the upright sides? And are the corners of the upright walls fastened at the top?

Good wide boards, are you sawing your own or having your own logs sawn?

Looks like a good load of cherry firewood.

I installed angle brackets on the band boards and then to the frame floor. The corners are not fastened yet, I'm still looking for some feasible brackets. My neighbor has a portable saw mill and saws his own. These boards were courtesy of him cut from a treated pine pole :)

I wish it was cherry, this is pine. I scored a large pine that netted close to a cord and a half. Its pine.... but hey, it was free. All wood will burn :D

/ My Carry All / wood hauler #4  
I wanted to get some of these for my carryall:
Carry-On Trailer Corner Rack Stake Pocket. - 0192564 | Tractor Supply Company

...but I couldn't find them handy to me in Maritime Canada. The sides on my carryall are strap-hinged to swing away(fold in flat). I have drop-in tailgate boards that fit into U-brackets screwed to the sides. Similar U-brackets mounted to the front outside edges of your carryall back might provide slots for the stake sides to slip down into and help protect against loads leveraging the sides out. All my boards and hardware are bolted, not screwed.
It looks like all you need now is a chainsaw scabbard on yours.

BOB

/ My Carry All / wood hauler #5  
With some minor alterations, this might be a good way to carry 4' logs or so out of the forest and right to the splitter area. You could buck them right in the stand so it acts like a saw horse as well.

/ My Carry All / wood hauler #6  
but I couldn't find them handy to me in Maritime Canada
I have that type on my carryall -- got them at some point at Princess Auto. Home Hardware here sells much better ones that are a cast circle and the other piece is a rod that drops throught the circle.

/ My Carry All / wood hauler
RD- I looked for those exact brakets at TSC, didn't see them. I also do plan on adding a chainsaw scabbard.

Arrow- Right now I just buck to stove length in the woods, load it and haul to splitting area. It would easier to use to use as a saw horse though. Easier on the back :)

/ My Carry All / wood hauler #8  
I installed angle brackets on the band boards and then to the frame floor. The corners are not fastened yet, I'm still looking for some feasible brackets. ..........:D

McMaster-Carr (McMaster Carr) has what they call "Heavy Duty Steel Brackets" online that my friend used to hold the corners together. Sold for heavy wood gates and truck racks. Looks like the would work good for you, as they are slotted and lock in place.
They have a good search function and also very good shipping rates.

/ My Carry All / wood hauler #9  
McMaster-Carr (McMaster Carr) has what they call "Heavy Duty Steel Brackets" online that my friend used to hold the corners together. Sold for heavy wood gates and truck racks. Looks like the would work good for you, as they are slotted and lock in place.
They have a good search function and also very good shipping rates.

I believe you are speaking of these;

Side Brackets, 18445A42 18445A41
Corner Brackets, 18445A52 18445A51
2 × 4 Brackets, 18725A61 18725A62

Plug any one of these numbers into McMater Carr's search box and you'll be taken straight to the proper page.
I've always had great service from McMaster-Carr!

Last edited: