Mount grapple on bent bucket ?

/ Mount grapple on bent bucket ? #1  

bcarwell

Gold Member
Tractor
Kabota 7500DT
I have a FEL bucket with a bent upper edge (see picture). My grapple has a 3/8 inch thick mounting plate about 2 feet wide that bolts with six bolts (or is to be welded) to this upper bucket edge. Because of the bent upper edge, when I rest this mounting plate on the upper bucket edge, there is about a 1/4 inch gap in the middle between the mounting plate and the bucket's upper edge where the bend is the most. I don't plan on using the grapple for much other than some brush and small tree trunk ((10 inch diameter) grabbing and a few rocks (maybe 100 lbs. or so).

The question is can I go ahead and bolt the plate on even though the bucket edge is bent ? Or could/should I add a short 1/4 inch shim of maybe 6 inches length to fill the space ? I suspect straightening the bucket edge is extremely difficult.

One other question: this upper bucket edge has a strengthening curl to it of maybe 3/4 inch diameter all along its edge. When the two grapple arms are lowered they can't lower all the way because they contact the upward curl of this upper edge. It would require me grinding a 3/8 inch slot in the upper edge curl at the two locations where the grapple arms contact the curl for the grapple to pemit the grapple arms to be able to swing all the way down without contacting the curl.

Do you see any problem in doing this ? The only way to avoid it I think is to mount a plate across the bucket edge, and then mount the grapple plate on that (e.g. raising the height off the upper bucket edge where the grapple plate is mounted so the grapple arms clear the front curled edge of the bucket when it is mounted. So... additional plate or grind the slots ?

Thanks for any advice.

Bob

Attachments

• DSC00090.JPG
    DSC00090.JPG
    701.2 KB · Views: 349
   / Mount grapple on bent bucket ? #2  
I would't even think about putting a grapple on that bent up bucket. Don't you have any pride, Just straighten the top lip out you can get it back almost perfect. I sure wouldn't grind slots it the top rail for the grapple. You need to figure another way to mount it. If you slot it it won't have any strength at all.

/ Mount grapple on bent bucket ? #3  
Looks like a typical LD bucket. Just put a bottle jack on the inside of the bucket with the bottom flat on the ground and a wide plank under to distribute the load, put a 4X4 or 4X6 between the lip and the jack and pump till straight. You may want to weld a piece of angle, full length of the bucket, on before actually putting on the thumb attachment. A member on here did that and it looked really nice, just can't locate the thread.

/ Mount grapple on bent bucket ? #4  
FWIW...
I took a piece of square tubing the width of the bucket and welded a tongue to each end to bolt to the ends of the bucket...this spans across the top of the bucket and that is what I intend to bolt my grapple to.....

/ Mount grapple on bent bucket ? #5  
I would try to straighten the bucket like MagicCheater said and then provide some reinforcements for it. Any grinding or cutting will only weaken parts more, so I would try to stay away from that if at all possible, as it may cause more bent up parts and headaches down the road.

/ Mount grapple on bent bucket ?
/PINE- I don't see how you are going to get bolts inside the square tubing to bolt your grapple onto, or how you are going to hang on to them when tightening. My grapple bar has six bolt holes all along the bolt-on bar.

Bob