MiG welder: how thick can it weld?

/ MiG welder: how thick can it weld? #31  
Lot of good info here but I agree with Diamond pilot, get a small mig and a stick. I was where you were a few years ago so I took the BOCES course for basic welding. Then bought a lincoln tombstone new (about $260) and used that for a few years. Finally got a lincoln 120v mig and now use both. Smaller stuff the mig is great, much better control. Bigger stuff that I need to stay together I use the stick though I usually tack the work together with the MIG, then do all the finish welds with the stick. Get a decent machine, for low use it should last you a lifetime.

/ MiG welder: how thick can it weld? #32  
Well guys, I frequent this site as well as a welding site. One of the guys there was mentioning the fellow from Britain who restore tanks. In one of their episondes they were taking two sherman's an making one good one. Well it turns out that the armour plated front of the Shermans ( I think it was 4 or 5 inches think) was welded to the turret with a MIG welder using Stainless steel wire. According to the guy on the show this was the way they did it in the forties when they built the tanks in the factory. He had a gas fed MIG to do his and A LOT OF PASSES.
So it's basic metallurgy. With the right heat and the right wire.......

Cheers.

/ MiG welder: how thick can it weld? #33  
MIG was developed in 1948, here's one of several sites discussing its history
Mig Welding History

so it certainly wasn't used in WWII. I have an 8th edition of the Lincoln Procedure Handbook, written 1945 (but re-published 1947), and there's no mention of MIG in there.

For thick plate like a tank, I would suspect a submerged arc method (with a wire feed) was used, where the flux is deposited separately ahead of the arc. My old handbook shows this procedure welding a 1.5 inch plate in 2 passes, at 1100 amps!!! with a 7/32 wire feed.

/ MiG welder: how thick can it weld? #34  
Chris....I follow your many talents here on TractorByNet........I just wish I had a small %...I'm new at welding as I mentioned.... although my new 120 volt Lincoln welder came with a DVD...it showed the instructor welding up 1/4 stock with good penatration....my idea of a small 110/120 volt mig welder like mine is....anything over 100 amps is suffecient for at least 1/8 stock I'm sure....That DECCA(Italian Made) I mentioned had at most 65 amps AC....this Lincoln has 125 amps DC....which by anyones standard is plenty for welding a 1/8 square stock trailer frame .... yes the square stock I'll be using is about 1/8....but like you mentioned you have been welding for years and know what your doin'....where as in my case...don't...but with alot of practice...questions asked and answerd I should be good to go...and if not....then like I mentioned I'll tack this trailer together and ship it off to the professional to weld up....I mostly bought this 120 volt mig welder to build a light weight cabin. on my tractor rather than use bolts...which would mean alot of drilling.....Thanks Chris for your output/interest...take care...Ampa..:thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / MiG welder: how thick can it weld? #35  
Some days you just can't seem to win, and today was one of them. Harrison called, he's the neighbor with all the welders, and said to stop over cause he had some time to show me how to weld with that battery driven welder of his. Well, as luck would have it I was all the way finished with my Readers Digest, I don't like stopping in the middle cause I loose track of the story line, so I head off across the back yard. Now I swear that little poodle of Elviras just spends all his day hunkered down in some secret spot waiting for me to get midway between two safe spots. There I am midway when the little buzzard comes a yappin and a runnin right at me. Now this has happened before, way too many times before, but today the little sucker almost got the better of me. Good thing I sidestepped when he lunged or I wouldn't be havin no reason to look for another new wife I'll tell you. He went flyin thru the air and found himself stuck in the snowbank. Normally I'd help one of God's creatures, but not this dang poodle, no way.

I get over to Harrisons, and tell him about the poodle, and he being the big hearted fellow takes himself a chunk of pipe and a hunk of rope, and I'm thinking he's going to do the poodle in for sure. Turns out he threaded the rope through the pipe and came walking back leading that little yapper with the pipe between the two of them. Harrison said even though the dog is a neighborhood blight he just can't let one of Gods critters suffer, and since the little monster has one of them goofy haircuts Harrison figured it would freeze out there cause Elvira and her hubby were at Square Dancing clinic. Harrison has evidently had previous encounters with the monster cause he has a wire jailcell he puts him in.

Well, we get to welding, and eventually motormouth shuts up in his cell, and I'm concentrating on what Harrison is showing me which ain't one bit easy with that helmet on. Nest thing we know Elvira's at the shop door looking for her monster. Harrison asks me to go set the monster free so Elvira can reclaim him, and I go flip the latch on the cell with a long stick while I was standing on a milk crate for my safety. That's when it happened.

That dang yapper made a beeline direct for the door and ran under the welding bench where Harrison was making sparks. Before I could say Gimminee I saw a flash of light and a cloud of smoke. Best we figure, Elvira put hairspray on that little monster, and one of the sparks hit the hairspray, and woooosh! Elvira's standing there in the doorway and that brainless mutt goes right betwixt her legs still on fire. Well let me tell you, all them petticoats that woman waers, and she wears so many she has to ride in the back seat while Ernest drives, are not one bit fireproof. Fortunately by then Harrison has stopped welding, and sees what is happening. He grabs the fire extinguisher and heads right for Elvira. Good thing was he got there real fast, and put her fire out before she even knew she was flaming, but the bad thing was we both learned Elvira has a nasty mouth on her. She's also got a poodle who will be needing a coat for the rest of this winter as we figure. Dang mutt looks a lot more like a mexican hairless tonight.

Elvira waddled off sort of dragging her dancing skirt, them things are real long when you ain't got the petticoats under em, and she is a substantial woman if you know what I mean. I look at Harrison and he at me, and we both decided we were done for the day. I tell you that shop stinks to high heaven of burned poodle hair. It sort of reminded me of whan I was a lad and mother overheated the curling iron she used on my sisters hair. You know, I never did get to test drive that battery driven welder.

/ MiG welder: how thick can it weld? #36  
And with that, well, there really is nuthin left to say. :)

/ MiG welder: how thick can it weld? #38  
A lot of good info here, I'll second a few comments as a hobby farm welder. I took a BOCES course to learn which was useful. Then I bought a lincoln tombstone 220v stick welder ($200 new), and a 110v lincoln mig($500 new). You really cover most situation this way. I mig the smaller stuff, stick the big stuff. You get some crazy penetration with 6011 rod, even if not pretty. I also use the mig to tack big jobs together, then finish off with stick. If money is less of a factor, you can't go wrong with a 220v mig machine but you're probably looking at $1500 for a quality unit.

/ MiG welder: how thick can it weld? #39  
Just to add to the thread.

Have a Miller 210 MIG, (220V) nice welder does almost everyhting I need to.
If welding heavier metal ⅜" and ½”, I use my old trusted and true Craftsman Buzz Box, sometimes I will weld ⅜” with the MIG.
Had the Buzz Box Stick Welder since… well for a long time and it still welds fine.

If there is a Safety Factor included in the welding, then I get a friend with a large portable unit to do the work.. better in the long run.

/ MiG welder: how thick can it weld? #40  
I welded up a broken excavator quick tach last night, I used the 450 amp Esab. I prepped (beveled) the 5/8 plates and after clamping and tacking I set her up in spray arc. Awsome, just like holding lightning.

After saying that, I probably use my little Hobart 135 the most of all the welders. I have probably ran more than 300 lbs. of wire through it so far.

The 350 synchrowave is an awesome machine for tig and stick but a little much for the average home owner.