A simple three point counterweight

/ A simple three point counterweight #11  
Yeah...That blue color does make it look heavy. How does that work anyway :confused2: ?
larry

/ A simple three point counterweight #12  
Youll find that concrete weighs 3800-4000 pounds per cu yd -- about 19.9#/gal. I dont know how a 55 drum could be under 1k unless it wasnt full.
larry

Assuming 55 gal drum, this converts to 7.3524 cubic feet times 150lbs cu/ft (concrete) equals 1102.86 lbs if it is level to the top.

Steve

Mine weighs about 800lbs

Attachments

• Tractor Nov 2009 (7).jpg
    Tractor Nov 2009 (7).jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 3,306
Last edited:
   / A simple three point counterweight #13  
I cut an old steel drum in two halves. Inserted two #5 rebars and filled the halves with concrete leftover from pouring some piers. I hang them from the 3-point after retracting the drawbar. I weighed the 1/2 drums and each one weighs 590 lbs. Usually I use just one, but I could stack them on my heavy duty 3-pt carrier if I needed 1180# of counterweight.

Attachments

• DSC02965.JPG
    DSC02965.JPG
    573.8 KB · Views: 1,371
  • DSC03651.JPG
    DSC03651.JPG
    594.6 KB · Views: 1,436
  • DSC03652.JPG
    DSC03652.JPG
    563.4 KB · Views: 1,483
  • DSC03654.JPG
    DSC03654.JPG
    572.7 KB · Views: 1,920
   / A simple three point counterweight
Assuming 55 gal drum, this converts to 7.3524 cubic feet times 150lbs cu/ft (concrete) equals 1102.86 lbs if it is level to the top.

Steve

Mine weighs about 800lbs

Sharp looking counterweight. Good job!

/ A simple three point counterweight #15  
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but why would someone consider hanging an ugly old barrel an a nice looking tractor? :cool:

But if I was going to build a barrel weight, I would consider a cat. 1 draw-bar and poke that through the barrel, and fill with cement. This would be stronger than re-bar as far as bending, and they only cost $20 or so.

Be careful so you don't make the thing to heavy for your tractor. There will be a lot of jerking around back there and you don't want to rip something off the rear end. I never heard of that happening, but I'm new here.
:thumbsup:

/ A simple three point counterweight #16  
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but why would someone consider hanging an ugly old barrel an a nice looking tractor? :cool:

But if I was going to build a barrel weight, I would consider a cat. 1 draw-bar and poke that through the barrel, and fill with cement. This would be stronger than re-bar as far as bending, and they only cost $20 or so.

Be careful so you don't make the thing to heavy for your tractor. There will be a lot of jerking around back there and you don't want to rip something off the rear end. I never heard of that happening, but I'm new here.
:thumbsup:

I made one like this using a cat 1 draw bar and it worked great until I managed to tip it over and it snapped off one of the pins on the draw bar. :mad:
Now it's a useless giant paperweight cause I can't get the old draw bar out of it to replace it.
I think I'd rather have had it bend so I could just bend it back again.

/ A simple three point counterweight #17  
Sounds like a good reason to buy a welder!

/ A simple three point counterweight #18  
I made one like this using a cat 1 draw bar and it worked great until I managed to tip it over and it snapped off one of the pins on the draw bar. :mad:
Now it's a useless giant paperweight cause I can't get the old draw bar out of it to replace it.
I think I'd rather have had it bend so I could just bend it back again.

I made a square box and used some Cat 1 pins instead of a draw-bar and it works fair. They stick in the concrete about 4" or so so I welded a bar to each on the inside of the tank so they wouldn't pull out.
I put a hitch on the back of the BB and was pulling and jerking so much pulling trees down that I bent them on maybe a 20 deg angle. They still work and hook up OK but I am gun-shy about hammering on them to straiten them out. :confused2:

If I crank on them to much, i would end up with a very pretty paper weight to.

/ A simple three point counterweight #19  
Here is mine, about 750 lbs with a 2 inch receiver in the back, and 2 inch PVC tubes cast in the concrete for handle tools. and lots of room for chains and other things in the top.

James K0UA

Attachments

• DSCF0420.JPG
    DSCF0420.JPG
    417.8 KB · Views: 2,388
  • DSCF0330.JPG
    DSCF0330.JPG
    466.5 KB · Views: 2,699
   / A simple three point counterweight #20  
Here is mine, about 750 lbs with a 2 inch receiver in the back, and 2 inch PVC tubes cast in the concrete for handle tools. and lots of room for chains and other things in the top.

James K0UA
Got more photos??? Interested in how you did the Toplink... I'm going back and forth from 55 gal. drum to a loaded pallet.