A simple three point counterweight

/ A simple three point counterweight #1  

denver 2

Tractor
Kubota L3130, JD GX345
A cheap three point counterweight for my tractor I made consists of a plastic 50 gallon drum, with a piece of all 3/4 inch all-thread run horizontally through two sway bars running vertically purchased at TSC ,and then the drum filled with concrete. Works great!

Attachments

• kubota L3130 007.jpg
    kubota L3130 007.jpg
    919.5 KB · Views: 13,763
   / A simple three point counterweight #2  
what is the height from the bottom of the drum to the ground w/3PT all the way raised?

/ A simple three point counterweight #3  
I plan to make make one with scrap steel, lead, and concrete cast into a 55 gal drum with pins on each end. Looks like Ill have to taper the drum ends back a little to clear the cat2 lift arms, but worth it to me so itll roll if it touches down. Im hoping for about 1 ton weight.
larry

/ A simple three point counterweight #4  
I made one of those many years ago. I used some 3pt hitch parts from TSC. Unfortunately, it did not weigh as much as I would have liked it to. A 55 gallon drum only holds about 1/3 of a yard of concrete. One yard of concrete weighs (approximately) 2000 to 3000 pounds, depending on the mix, of course. I was able to gab that drum when it was laying on its side and stand it up by myself. Now, I ain't that big of a guy, so I am pretty sure it was well under 1000 pounds. ;)

/ A simple three point counterweight #5  
Looks like Ill have to taper the drum ends back a little to clear the cat2 lift arms, but worth it to me so it'll roll if it touches down.
larry

Gotta like guys that think outside the box, nice 90 degree shift in attachment!

/ A simple three point counterweight #6  
I made one of those many years ago. I used some 3pt hitch parts from TSC. Unfortunately, it did not weigh as much as I would have liked it to. A 55 gallon drum only holds about 1/3 of a yard of concrete. One yard of concrete weighs (approximately) 2000 to 3000 pounds, depending on the mix, of course. I was able to gab that drum when it was laying on its side and stand it up by myself. Now, I ain't that big of a guy, so I am pretty sure it was well under 1000 pounds. ;)
Youll find that concrete weighs 3800-4000 pounds per cu yd -- about 19.9#/gal. I dont know how a 55 drum could be under 1k unless it wasnt full.
larry

/ A simple three point counterweight #7  
Why do you have the top link so high? Looks like it well do some bending when you go up with it.

/ A simple three point counterweight
Why do you have the top link so high? Looks like it well do some bending when you go up with it.

The drum works fine with no bending. The metal bars already had pre-drilled holes and I went with them since I did not own any metal bits that large, they certainly could be lower. I first began by placing the empty drum flat on the ground and then backing tractor up with the lower hitch sides level and centered on drum and then marked holes. I then drilled holes and ran all-thread through first hole and then through both sway bars and then out the other hole. I then fixed the top bar of the hitch and verified that it worked. Filled with mortar (less weight than concrete) and presto a counter weight was born for under $50.

/ A simple three point counterweight #10  
Looks like enough weight to me, If it's full 55 gals it should be over 1000 lbs. (1100 @ 150#/cu ft) to me looks heavier than that though.

Pretty much the classic Do it yourself ballast box, only with the modern plastic barrel as opposed to steel.

JB.