Cheap logging winch

/ Cheap logging winch #1  

Mudfarmer

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3005, Kubota B2710, Kubota B2650 (sold the ford 1700 and kubota B7100)
My tree farm is 20 to 30 years old on hilly terrain. I need to get poles out that I have thinned or salvaged from blow-down from relatively steep slopes that I can't drive the tractor up (currently a JD 3005, formerly a Ford 1700). I can't justify the cost of a skidding winch like a Norse or a Farmi (although as the Euro drops against the dollar they may become more affordable). Also those are not that common in the Northwest, so none available on the used market. And I've never been to welding class - maybe when i retire I can find some time for that at community college. Also it seems to me that the tractor manufacturers are charging way to much for a ballast box. So here is my solution.

I combined a homemade ballast box with an electric winch by using cheap pieces of metal from home depot, the local feed store, and harbor freight with five sacs of ready mix and available junk around the shop. Then i added a 3000# pound "harbor freight special" winch on sale for $50 mounted on a harbor freight 9000 pound two inch receiver winch mount (on sale for $29.95). I tried it out today for the first time - it works great. I lower the block to the ground to give the winch resistance to pull against. When the poles are yarded in I can drag them out with the butts against the block to protect my PTO shaft. I think I have about $100 bucks in the whole thing. When my trees get bigger, I will get a bigger winch - maybe splurge on a hydraulic winch to exploit my power-beyond. This is prototype number one. It is so cheap i may play with improving the design and build another. With a bigger winch i would add a screen to the ROPS and operate it from the seat. Don't actually think i need a Frami after all. Take a look at the pics.

Attachments

• 100_0544.jpg
    100_0544.jpg
    745.3 KB · Views: 2,134
  • 100_0547.jpg
    100_0547.jpg
    870.5 KB · Views: 1,534
  • 100_0552.jpg
    100_0552.jpg
    1,001.8 KB · Views: 2,336
  • 100_0555.jpg
    100_0555.jpg
    932.9 KB · Views: 2,229
   / Cheap logging winch #2  
Interesting combination, is the extra weight of the concrete for the loader?
Prototyping is all about refinement and change. Sounds like you are having fun. As far as the welding goes, just pick up a cheap arc welder, some rods and just do it. Stick welders are more forgiving w/rusty metal and less complicated, and rusty metal is easy to come by! Enjoyed the pics.

/ Cheap logging winch #3  
Just seems to me that a heavy ballast box (as good as it is), really is just in the way of your tractor/winch combination for skidding out trees. More weight along with the weight of the trees isn't what you want (at least I wouldn't). But don't mean to be critical of your plan.
Hope it all works out good for you. :)

/ Cheap logging winch #4  
I have to agree, Get a cheap welder, and some scrap, and start playing around. After a while you can get a book. It is not as hard as you might think. As long as your not welding up roll cages, or something that could compromise your safety, a welder is a very valuable tool. I like the winch Idea. For me, as long as it works, you can always fix the little things.

/ Cheap logging winch #5  
That looks intriguing. :D

Have you considered several spade shape iron pieces on the bottom for anchoring?

/ Cheap logging winch #6  
I agree with the others, find a cheap arc welder and try your luck. Being able to weld your own stuff is like putting money in the bank :)

/ Cheap logging winch #7  
I did the similar set up on my 3410 Kubota. I have the same 2" reciever set up with a 9000 lb winch. I have pulled large trees with it, and it has saved me a lot of problems. I just lift the butt of the log off the ground and skid it home. The weight of the tree helps with traction. I had the same winch mounted on the roll over bar of a different tractor and I liked that better.

/ Cheap logging winch

Attachments

• 100_0551.jpg
    100_0551.jpg
    997.8 KB · Views: 1,294
   / Cheap logging winch #9  
Where did you access power for the winch?
I have a carryall box on the back of my tractor most of the summer and have thought of making a winch bracket to help get trees closer so I could cut them up to load the carryall box and loader bucket...that combo nicely balances the loads for me.
BOB

/ Cheap logging winch
Where did you access power for the winch?
I have a carryall box on the back of my tractor most of the summer and have thought of making a winch bracket to help get trees closer so I could cut them up to load the carryall box and loader bucket...that combo nicely balances the loads for me.
BOB

For the little electric winch i am currently trying, i open the hood and attach the electric cables to the battery with jumper cable clamps. This winch has a wireless remote so it is very easy to use at a distance. I have a 9000 pound winch that i plan to use on prototype two (i'll then move the little winch down to my Kubota B7100 which lives on a separate property). Since the bigger winch requires heavier cables I plan on using a remote winch cable coupler. I'll run Four gauge cable from the battery to somewhere around the drivers seat and have the female coupler there. That way i can easily hook up the electric winch wired to the maile coupler when I hook up the three point. The trouble with the bigger winch is that the manual says it should be hooked to a battery with 660 CCA and the JD comes with a 550 CCA battery as does my kubota. Not sure I want to spring for a bigger battery so will just have to see how it works. I would appreciate any comments of experience re this. In the future If i move up to a hydraulic winch i will have to get all the hydraulic hoses and valves to hook to my power beyond.

Mf