Building a LARGE lawn roller

/ Building a LARGE lawn roller #11  
Great Job on the build,:thumbsup: Iam doing a new roller, Iam using old 500 gallon propane tank, scrap steel price, and twice as thick, The thicker the better, stones will dent (thin ones) very easy, Eric

/ Building a LARGE lawn roller #12  
Great Idea !How Did You Fill It With The Concrete?

/ Building a LARGE lawn roller #13  
Another one of my future projects. Only I need it to pack down the road after grading it. I would use a piece of conveyor belting for a mud scraper on the roller.

/ Building a LARGE lawn roller #14  
How to fill em up with concrete?? this was how I did mine - couple of 6" square cutouts then I put in a 2" stainless shaft I had that was a boat propshaft (didn't even have to cut it) an fill em up with concrete with a small shovel. Only have this pic of it so far but the concrete has surely set by now - maybe I can get back to this project soon - I have all the bearings etc, I just need to decide on a drawbar plan - either an A-frame or a single drawbar going back to a hoop over top of roller. There is advantages in each so I guess it will come down to material on hand.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 327
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 271
   / Building a LARGE lawn roller #15  
I'm thinking about building a roller, but for my hay field, not lawn, so it needs to be rather large. I can get 55 gal steel drums, so I'm thinking of going with anywhere from three to five drums so I can cover 8 acres in a decent amount of time. I like many of the ideas I've seen here so far. Keep the pictures coming, as it will help me design something that will work for me.

Joe

/ Building a LARGE lawn roller #16  
Just got back from my steel supplier this evening and will start working on my new segmented roller. This will be about 6 1/2 feet wide and weigh in about 2300lbs. Will take pictures and post the build.

/ Building a LARGE lawn roller #17  
Just got back from my steel supplier this evening and will start working on my new segmented roller. This will be about 6 1/2 feet wide and weigh in about 2300lbs. Will take pictures and post the build.

Thanks for your great idea.Can't wait to see pics

/ Building a LARGE lawn roller #18  
I thought about using barrels but, for me ,as you said I'm doing a lawn. Good luck with your project send pictures. Mark

/ Building a LARGE lawn roller #19  
There is a 36" diameter pipeline being installed thru my property. I had hoped they would leave some extra/scrap pipe. No luck with that. They did say anything under 5' could not be used (weld joints must be over 5' apart). But they will not leave any of the short length left over. It's at least 1/2 wall, I guessing 180 -190 lbs/ft.

Attachments

• pipeline 83113 010.JPG
    pipeline 83113 010.JPG
    810 KB · Views: 213
   / Building a LARGE lawn roller #20  
Zebrafive,
The 18" pipe with 1/2" wall I got is about 92lbs/ft IIRC, you are about right on your estimate. Filled with concrete I am estimating about 300 lbs/ft for my new roller. Don't expect the pipe to deflect any either.:D