Building a Log Splitter from Scratch

/ Building a Log Splitter from Scratch #1  

SkunkWerX

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2510H
I've had a 5hp Vert/Horiz machine for many years. It's mostly used in the vertical position but my back is getting tired of the "hunched over for hours" process. It's OK on power except for the toughest pieces, but I don't think it would do well with a 4 way.

The new one is going to be horizontal with a log lift and 4-way wedge.
Using an 11hp engine, 16gpm pump and a 4.5" cylinder.

Pre-February Snow Storms:

Started with a 8x35 Beam, and began making the pusher plate using 1/2" steel, while waiting for the cylinder to arrive.
Pusher Plate being built

Continued on Pusher plate
Pusher Plate continued

Needed to make the face of the Pusher "anti slip" so welded on a peice of diamond plate steel. Pusher with diamond plate

The 4.5" cylinder arrived in about a week. Using 1" steel fabricated the attachment point for the cylinder. Had to drill 1 1/4" holes for the cylinder pins. Pusher plate with cylinder mount

Then, using the 1" steel, began building the rear mount for the cylinder.
Here it is, tacked in place, to be re-inforced later. Rear Cylinder Mount

to be continued......

/ Building a Log Splitter from Scratch #2  
I know others have used it, but I don't know that I would trust diamond plate to keep the log from slipping, particularly if the butt end of the log is not flush and flat against it. I would use expanded metal or something with a bit more bite.

/ Building a Log Splitter from Scratch
Then came the back-to-back February blizzards! Got plenty of seat time during these 2 weeks.
But not so much Log Splitter time.

Plowing%20Blizzard%20%20Feb%202010.jpg

Finally started working on the splitter again, using a space heater and the woodstove on the back wall the workshop.
Took the edge off of the cold, enough to do some work.

/ Building a Log Splitter from Scratch #4  
nice work .I built my splitter a few years ago.If I were to do it all over again I would've made it into a processor.i've been watching utube vids on making one.I think it wouldn't be that hard to add a splitter bed and and a chute .Just have to add a saw on top and some kind of winch to haul 4' or 8' foot logs onto it.As you cut it falls down into the splitter and the splitter splits and pushes the wood down the shoot into a truck or pile.Cuts down on the pain in the lower back..anyway just rambling,keep up the good work

And here it is as of last weekend.
Currently working on the tow carriage.

DSC01529.JPG

/ Building a Log Splitter from Scratch #6  
Hi...NiceJob!....I built a splitter very similar in design and it works great but I found I needed major reinforcing on the push plate to keep the outside edges from bending back.....I used 3/8" plate and 4" cylinder. Its 35 years old and still going strong.
Casey

Hi...NiceJob!....I built a splitter very similar in design and it works great but I found I needed major reinforcing on the push plate to keep the outside edges from bending back.....I used 3/8" plate and 4" cylinder. Its 35 years old and still going strong.
Casey

Casey, thanks. My push plate is 1/2" steel with the diamond plate welded onto that, so it's about 5/8" thick. It's backed by a 1" thick piece, and two 1/2" thick gussets on each side of the 1" piece.

I'll add some more steel if I notice any deflection along the top edge.

/ Building a Log Splitter from Scratch #8  
Do you have 4 seperate valves on that splitter?

/ Building a Log Splitter from Scratch #9  
I've had a 5hp Vert/Horiz machine for many years. It's mostly used in the vertical position but my back is getting tired of the "hunched over for hours" process.

Not a negative comment on your efforts at all, but- I simply kneel in front of mine to work it. This is primarily when I'm splitting really big stuff that takes 5 or 6 rotations to get it all. This stuff is too heavy to lift so I use the vertical setting. Smaller stuff I go horizontal and stand.

Not a negative comment on your efforts at all, but- I simply kneel in front of mine to work it. This is primarily when I'm splitting really big stuff that takes 5 or 6 rotations to get it all. This stuff is too heavy to lift so I use the vertical setting. Smaller stuff I go horizontal and stand.

mmurphy, yes, there are 4 handles you see.
The closest one will be the log lift cylinder.
The next one will be the 4-way wedge height adjustment.
The auto-cycle splitter cylinder valve has two handles and reverses the flow automatically for auto-return.

Skyco, yes, that is how I did it, for 20+ years. It works, but as I get older, my back just cannot take hours of it on end any more. The log lift will heft the big ones, and allow the stacking of several smaller ones at the same time.