Tractor
    TC29

Default Cutting Torch Problem

Father-in-law gave me an old Victor cutting torch set up a few years ago. The handle is Model No 315 and the cutting attachment is CA1050. Problem is when I open the O2 valve on the handle, O2 rushes out of the tip even with the attachment valve closed. Took apart and ball bearing is there, all looks ok. Swapped out the valve from the handle, same deal. Shouldn稚 the front valve prevent the 02 from escaping? On this model there doesn稚 seem to be anything else to repair or replace. Is the mixing chamber history? Thanks for any help.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    318 John Deere, 4200 John Deere, 1947 John Deere "M"

Default Re: Cutting Torch Problem

Sounds to me that the needle valve on the lever action, or the mixing valve on the cutting attachment is hung up! You should be able to turn on the lower O2 knob at the lower (hose end) knob, and have no flow, if the upper ones are operating properly. Victor is a good torch! I'm fortunate to have a torch repair vendor handy, and for twenty bucks, they'll go over the whole thing. Clean polish etc. Might want to consider that option! ~Scotty

Tractor
    TC29

Thanks Scotty, Just wish I understood the mechanics of these better. I have had the Lever apart and the assembly does need replacement. Seems the valve on the attachment should see the O2 before the lever. Which leads to this question. If the valve is closed on the attachment and the valve on the handle is open, can you still produce a shot of O2 by pressing the lever?

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7100D

I agree, sounds like the 'cut' lever is stuck open. The bottom O2 valve should be wide open and then you control the O2 for the flame with the top one.

Tractor
    TC29

Charlz and Scotty, thanks for the replies. Called Bill's Repair in OK. Doesnt sound terminal. First off, I'm missing the rubber seat on the lever valve. I'm going to send it to him for a checkout and repair.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

There is a double o-ring on the torch head where it connects to the mixing barrell that will allow oxygen to flow thru the cutting tip without pressing the handle or opening the valve if it is bad. Take a look at those and replace with new one. THis connection is supposed to be just snug tight by hand, but some folks think that because it has a nut on it, you need a wrench. This destroys the o-rings if overtightened. You can remove the cutting oxygen valve after you take out the rolled pin in the handle and check those seals also. Repair kits shouldnt be more than $5 for all the rubber parts.

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fowler View Post
    There is a double o-ring on the torch head where it connects to the mixing barrell that will allow oxygen to flow thru the cutting tip without pressing the handle or opening the valve if it is bad. Take a look at those and replace with new one. THis connection is supposed to be just snug tight by hand, but some folks think that because it has a nut on it, you need a wrench. This destroys the o-rings if overtightened. You can remove the cutting oxygen valve after you take out the rolled pin in the handle and check those seals also. Repair kits shouldnt be more than $5 for all the rubber parts.

I agree with all of the above, it takes less time to fix it than it takes to package for repairs. this is an easy DIY. I have had Victor torches for forty years and am well satisfied with them.