Homemade gauge wheels for rake

/ Homemade gauge wheels for rake #1  

Window Geek

Silver Member
Tractor
2006 Kubota 7610 HST 4WD
I built my own set of rake wheels after the TSC wheel set was almost as much as the rake.

I started with a set of 10 350# capacity casters on sale from Harbor Freight. Looked over some of the wheel pictures on TBN and started fabbing right by the rake while attached to the 3PH.

I measured the bolt centers on the rake, then cut and drilled some 3" channel iron I had in the spare pile. I welded old pieces of quick strut to them making sure I gave enough room to have the casters spin. It also gives me better grading since the 7610 Kubota isn't all that long to begin with. I chose the quick strut because it will give (flex twist) without bending permanently during hard turns or hanging up on something.

Next, after figuring which size pipe slipped into other pipe, I welded the sleeve onto the end of the arm. I bought threaded rod joiners (extra long nuts) for the adjusting screws, drilled a hole for the screw to fit through the sleeve, and welded the nuts in place. I left the bolts in the nuts to prevent spatter from messing up the threads.

I wanted the casters to be bolt-on in case they ever got damaged. I built bolt-on plates from twin pieces of 1/4" x 2" flat bar, welding them together side by side. I welded a short section of ¾ pipe onto the plates to act as reinforcement. After making sure they were square to the plate, I slid the larger pipe over the short sections of ¾ pipe and welded those onto the plates. After the wheels were bolted on I assembled it all together onto the rake.

Attachments

• DSCF2666.jpg
    DSCF2666.jpg
    768.5 KB · Views: 1,183
  • DSCF2667.jpg
    DSCF2667.jpg
    784.6 KB · Views: 1,314
  • DSCF2670.jpg
    DSCF2670.jpg
    702 KB · Views: 1,981
Last edited:
   / Homemade gauge wheels for rake
The drawing guy (me) screwed up on the height of the wheel stem and after assembly, it was clear I wouldn't be able to get all the adjustable height I wanted.:mur: I headed back to Home Despot and got some more ¾ and 1 ¼ pipe to extend the height of the wheel stem. I sleeved the ¾ pipe into both wheel stems, tacked them in place and sleeved the extra sections of bigger pipe over that. I finished the top of the longer wheel stems with pipe cap to keep them from sliding out. Welding some 3 inch pieces of ¼ x ½ flat stock onto the adjusting bolts made tightening by hand easy. A buddy of mine painted the arms with urethane paint to finish them up.

The TSC wheel set was $324.00

The home made set cost:
2 Wheels $12.99 ea $25.98
Scrap channel $ 0.00
Scrap Quick strut $ 0.00
Pipes from HD $17.12
Nuts and bolts $ 2.00
Total $45.10 :thumbsup:

Thanks to all the inspiring folks at TBN. You give me the confidence to try new stuff. Someday I'll try to do work like 4shorts or MJNCAD! (More tools and space and time will be needed first!) :D

Attachments

• DSCF2669.jpg
    DSCF2669.jpg
    756.7 KB · Views: 674
  • DSCF3155.jpg
    DSCF3155.jpg
    453.9 KB · Views: 593
  • DSCF3157.jpg
    DSCF3157.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 584
  • DSCF3160.jpg
    DSCF3160.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 856
Last edited:
   / Homemade gauge wheels for rake #3  
Impressive. Adjustable, simple and cheap. Woods wanted $335 for a set!
I have been looking for an idea for my rake and this is along the way I was thinking but could not figure out. Thanks.

/ Homemade gauge wheels for rake #4  
I am on my second modification or maybe third of my homemade wheels. Wheels have not wanted to track correctly. Let us know how yours do. You have done a nice job putting the together.

/ Homemade gauge wheels for rake
Ninefinger, it tracks well. I can set the heights different to get the scoop harder or lighter on one side. The casters always swivel to the line you're pulling on. Turn the rake to 45 degrees right or left and the rake still tracks. If the rake shifts side to side a little from a heavy chunk, the wheels still swivel.
I made the clearance enough that they can spin nearly all the way around. Not that I want to back up, but you always end up missing little spots. If the wheels can't swivel, the rake will lock up the wheels when they hit the back of the rake or bump a stone that won't scuff over.

/ Homemade gauge wheels for rake #8  
Looks like you need to keep air in them tires. If so, I'd think hard tires would be the trick. I'm sure you can go that way if you choose. Looks good. I would like to put a wheel or two on the back of my Land Pride Blade.

/ Homemade gauge wheels for rake #9  
If this last mod, when I had time to finish it, does not work I think those casters may just be the trick I need. Thanks

/ Homemade gauge wheels for rake #10  
Nice work.

The wheels might need to have foam added. Their ability to hold air isn't too reliable. I seem to spend a great deal of time installing new tubes in these for people.