hydraulic swivel on custom built rake

/ hydraulic swivel on custom built rake #1  

spo307

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota L4400
I am building a 7 foot rake going to make the rake swivel by hydraulic piston, when they say 24" stroke that means when the piston is all the way closed when you open it it will travel 24"? if so i would attatch the piston with it opened half way so it can travel 12" forward and 12" back to swivel the rake, does this sound good or should the piston be longer? thanks sorry 4 the dumb questions, this is my first rake build. dennis
DALTON TR3 Cylinder - 2" Bore X 24" Stroke

/ hydraulic swivel on custom built rake #3  
You won't need a cylinder that long if you place to closer to the center pivot. you also run the risk of bending a long cylinder like that.

You described the stroke measurement well. And yes, you would need a DA (double acting) cylinder.

/ hydraulic swivel on custom built rake #4  
spo307,

Try Surplus Center. They have a large selection of cylinders.

I used a 2.5 x 8 on my 5 foot grader blade, gives plenty of angle both directions. Keep the geometry "tight" and it will work fine without a long cylinder.

/ hydraulic swivel on custom built rake
   / hydraulic swivel on custom built rake #7  
For this sort of application it's typical to use a clevis end cylinder with 1" dia mounting holes pinned onto 3/4" to 1" thick round nose mounting tabs, sort of like this:

Cylinder length stroke and placement of both clevis ends are SUPER CRITICAL to get the correct range of motion.......

Larry

Last edited:
thats what I was planning except it would be on the tine bar 2x10 or 2 x12 piston

2 boxes of tines came today now to set up spacing and drill, drill drill

drilled the hole thurs. and fri. nights. today welded in shc. 40 pipe inside the 3x3 tube where the mounting bolt passes through, welded mounting bracket and shaft, small tabs were the wheels will be mounted. waiting on the 2 hole bearing, 2x8 piston.
rkbraketinebar1.jpg

rkbraketinebar2.jpg

rkbraketinebar5.jpg

rkbraketinebar4.jpg