Stump Grinder

/ Stump Grinder #1  

Toffy

Bronze Member
Has anybody seem any info about building your own stump grinder. Would appreciate any info you may have.

/ Stump Grinder #2  
I just rent a stump grinder when I need it. Considering the beating these things take I don't want to own one. Rented one last week for $219.00 for the day. Did 25 stumps with it.

/ Stump Grinder #3  
Check out the Massey owning operating section. A gentleman built a front mounted stump grinder for his sub compact GC2300 that is pretty impressive.
3/21/10 post
tp

Last edited:
   / Stump Grinder
Thanks for the info you are right Sam renting is avialible to me except not all that practical for stump every once in a while .I have visions or a nightmare about a front mounted stump grinder that would shave the stump from the top. I want to use a flywheel from a large diesel engine with cutters attached. Most stump grinders i see go back and forth and have to be lowered in the process.
I have this crazy idea that it could be made a lot simpler.

/ Stump Grinder #6  
Thats pretty slick! :drink:

/ Stump Grinder #7  
I remember seeing one a guy made out of a BH gear box and about 10 old saw mill blades stacked. They must have been 30"

Chris

/ Stump Grinder #8  
The one I've used has been a "Bluebird" model, 13 HP Honda driving a belt to a wheel fitted with carbide tipped cutting bits, almost like lathe tools. Ok as long as the carbides are sharp, otherwise not so good.

Chilly