Advice on building a small utv w/ my son.

/ Advice on building a small utv w/ my son.
Thanks for the ideas, it's nice getting feedback.

My CFO (wife) has been really accepting of me bringing the 2 project mowers home, especially since I'm already working on mine.
Don't think I'll push it by looking to bring more stuff home.

Living in the city, I probably don't really need the one I have, but it does help w/ time and allergies.

As I can get started, I'll try to get some pics up.

No real update, but don't want to look like one of the people who starts an idea but doesn't follow up.

I have started having second thoughts about cutting up the cub, kind of has a neat style. Pulled the deck, pretty bad shape, rusted through around one of the spindles. May be above my experience, but I bought a welder a while back, and haven't used it enough, so I figure I'll try to fix the deck.

Is there a minimum thinkness to use, not sure how thick the deck is 16 ga?

If I can get time to get moving on this, I'll try to get some pics up.

Update sort of. Haven't gotten much done, but have ditched the deck. My son & I used the mower to pull a big pile of limbs to the curb, he had a ball.

I think I have scrounged up the stuff to make a wider seat, and have a few other ideas - replace brake pedal w/ hand brake (this will allow sitting side x side). Instead of putting a bed on this, will just build a little trailer for tackle boxes/cooler, etc.

I am thinking about putting in a hook up for a few items, fog lights and a cheap air compressor (just for when tires are low).
Would it work to just put a connector inline w/ headlights, could unhook lights and plug in other accessory.
Or should I run a separate power/ground w/ connector for accessories.

Of course I will put a switch with everything, and only use one of the 2 at a time, they won't even be hooked up when not in use.

Thanks again for the guidance and support, when I do get time to get going, I'll figure out how to get pics up.

/ Advice on building a small utv w/ my son. #15  
I'd look into how much current the engine is capable of putting out. I know the lights on my garden tractor are pretty dim, almost useless. Hopefully yours will have enough juice to power the air compressor. As far as building a trailer instead of a bed, have at it. As long as you are building something and having fun doing it, that's all that matters, at least in my opinion. Making a hand brake sounds like a cool idea, just make sure there will still be a parking brake lock in there somewhere. The factory parking linkage may even still work.

/ Advice on building a small utv w/ my son. #16  
We have 55 acres, 85% of which is woods. My wife wanted a UTV with side by side seating, heater, power steering, and full cab. Initially I thought about a Kubota RTV until I saw the price tag. I bought a 94 Jeep wrangler with a bad transmission for 600 and made several repairs including the soft rear frame member at the shackles. Its all back together and I must say it fits the job description well. Can't wait to go plowing through the snow on the logging trails next winter. The best part is it can be sold if a newer toy becomes available as it has a title and is road worthy.

I'd love to have a Jeep or a project vehicle. That is a goal down the road. The mower will have to fit the bill for a while, until time, $, and space allow.

Thanks for all of the help, my son & I are getting geared up for this. We've been using it to pull piles of limbs from the back yard to the curb. Are yard isn't really that big, but it's more fun than carrying.

/ Advice on building a small utv w/ my son. #18  
If I were you I would invest in some tire chains. They make a huge difference, and you could then add wheel weights and a front blade for some real fun!
When I was a kid I had an old riding lawn mower with no mower deck, I had alot of fun playing around in the woods with it. I'm sure your son will too! Just don't let him coast down hills in neutral! I fractured my wrist doing that! lol They don't handle too good at high speeds!