adaptor from 3-point hitch to Allis Chalmers Model G hitch?

/ adaptor from 3-point hitch to Allis Chalmers Model G hitch? #1  

FredWalter

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 5300, Gravely 8163G, BCS735, etc
A while back I picked up a toolbar for an Allis Chalmers Model G.

I don't have an Allis Chalmers Model G.

I figure I could try selling it, but I need a toolbar,
so I'm wondering if anyone makes (or has plans for)
an adaptor from a 3-point hitch to the AC Model G hitch,
so I can use this toolbar with my Massey Ferguson tractor?

/ adaptor from 3-point hitch to Allis Chalmers Model G hitch? #2  
I would be far more inclined to sell the toolbar and use the money to get what you need.
Those little implements can bring some good money from G collectors and making it work would probably ruin any value it has as a trade off for something that doesn't cost much to start with.

/ adaptor from 3-point hitch to Allis Chalmers Model G hitch? #3  
I googled the G and not many pics available of the rear toolbars. I did find one that looked factory. It appears to me to be a piece of square tubing that ran across the back of the tractor, had a flat bar on each side that connected to the tractor to suspend it and raise and lower it, the actual cultivator shank/feet attached to the flat bar. This one had a clamp on factory looking trailer hitch in the middle.

If it was me, I would remove the trailer hitch, weld a piece of 2X2 tubing sticking straight out the back if it was still mounted to the G. This would turn it around backwards from the G application. After mounting my cultivators on the flat bar, sliding out to my liking, I would then cut off all the excess that was used to mount the bar to the G. By turning the whole thing around, you will have to turn the feet around too. If they don't line up right, you can heat and bend the bars to fit, but I suspect they can be loosened and turned, or put the left on the right, right on the left.

If you don't think the toolbar will raise enough coming straight out of the hitch, you may want to bend the tubing up a short distance and then continue straight back before connecting to the toolbar. Measure the height of the lowest point of the tractor and stay no lower than the lowest point, that way you lose nothing with your reciever hitch clearance. Those open middles were for a reason. By bending, you will need to cut it and weld it back together as tubing is not real bendable by the home fabricator.

Are you doing the work yourself or do you have to hire it done?

Someone suggested selling it and buying what you really need. I have a turn plow for a L or LH John Deere as a yard ornament. I have let the local tractor clubs know I have it but seems nobody wants it. They collect the tractors but not the equipment. I have saved a lot of money by reworking a piece to fit my needs, but I do it all myself, not having to hire it out.

If you can post a pic of what you have, I can be more specific on what to do. Or you can send it to me direct.

/ adaptor from 3-point hitch to Allis Chalmers Model G hitch? #4  
   / adaptor from 3-point hitch to Allis Chalmers Model G hitch?
I would be far more inclined to sell the toolbar and use the money to get what you need.
Those little implements can bring some good money from G collectors and making it work would probably ruin any value it has as a trade off for something that doesn't cost much to start with.

Someday I hope to buy an AC Model G (if I can find one without a motor for the right price) for an electric tractor conversion project. So I'd like to keep the AC Model G toolbar.

I don't plan on modifying the toolbar.

/ adaptor from 3-point hitch to Allis Chalmers Model G hitch?
   / adaptor from 3-point hitch to Allis Chalmers Model G hitch? #7  
That will be easy to convert in the same way I suggested with the rear mounted toolbar. You can either weld on to it or clamp on to it. If you weld it and want it back original later, cut it off, grind it down and repaint it, you are back to original. Steel is very forgiving in that we can cover our alterations and mistakes with a welder and grinder. If you want it un-noticeable after returning it to a G, a lil bondo and sanding will take away the grinder marks.

/ adaptor from 3-point hitch to Allis Chalmers Model G hitch? #8  
I think it'd just be more apropriate to scratch build whatever toolbar the OP needs vs hack work on the g toolbar.

as has been mentioned.. things like that are getting more scarce.

soundguy

/ adaptor from 3-point hitch to Allis Chalmers Model G hitch? #9  
Think what I would do is just make an inverted "T" to fit the three point and weld on a couple of arms pointed to the rear. Use U-bolts to hold on the tool bar.