annular cutters: a better way to drill big holes in thick steel

/ annular cutters: a better way to drill big holes in thick steel #41  
We called them Hougen Bits. We've had them where I work for many years.
The larger ones up around 2-3" used to have a tendency to shatter. We
switched to High Performance Allied Machine Spade drills and have them
up to 3.5" and some special ordered one up 5.75". I've seen Allied TiCN
coated 1.25" bits drill nearly 500 holes in A36 steel before replacing the bit.

/ annular cutters: a better way to drill big holes in thick steel #42  
Hougen makes an adapter which you can use in a Jacobs chuck and mount Weldon style
bits like the hougen annualr cutters. Just picked one up today. Not cheap but now I can use
Hougen bits in my Milwaukee Mag-drill or in my drill press in the shop.

/ annular cutters: a better way to drill big holes in thick steel #43  
sparc said:
Hougen makes an adapter which you can use in a Jacobs chuck and mount Weldon style
bits like the hougen annualr cutters. Just picked one up today. Not cheap but now I can use
Hougen bits in my Milwaukee Mag-drill or in my drill press in the shop.

Gotta link?

Thomas
No matter where you go; there you are...

/ annular cutters: a better way to drill big holes in thick steel #44  
No, and i looked on Hougens website and couldn't find them. Bought it a local industrial supply. I asked and they told me it was made by Hougen, but it wasn't in any packaging with a part number. I took a couple pics with my phone camera which I will post later.

/ annular cutters: a better way to drill big holes in thick steel #47  
I saw some one posted drilling 7/8 and smaller holes. I have a set of Snapon brand cutters that will work in a regular drill chuck that go up to 7/8. 10 times faster than drill bits. You can also buy them in metric sizes. Just dont make the mistake I did of trying to use those cutters in a hand drill. You simply cant hold the hand drill steady or straight enought to keep from breaking the bits. Cant beat them in a drill press tho.

/ annular cutters: a better way to drill big holes in thick steel #48  
There are surely lots of ways to drill big holes especially for one off or occasional use, this works from 3/4 to 1 1/2 or so, really well in the inch range. I am usually done before a guy could rig up something fancy, on equipment in place other things are not always practical either.

Attachments

• hole saw.JPG
    hole saw.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 455
   / annular cutters: a better way to drill big holes in thick steel #49  
At my day job, we are a distributor of tools and fasteners. We started selling these about a year ago for cutting holes in thicker steel. They work really well and can be used in hand drills for portable work.

http://www.championcuttingtool.com/pdf/newCT7.pdf

/ annular cutters: a better way to drill big holes in thick steel #50  
At my day job, we are a distributor of tools and fasteners. We started selling these about a year ago for cutting holes in thicker steel. They work really well and can be used in hand drills for portable work.

http://www.championcuttingtool.com/pdf/newCT7.pdf

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the link.

I checked their website, but there is no link to allow searching for a local distributor.

Do you know how/where I can find some of these in upstate NY?

Thanks,
Thomas