annular cutters: a better way to drill big holes in thick steel

/ annular cutters: a better way to drill big holes in thick steel #61  

I bought one of these, only issue is the max depth for the chips to clear is about 1/4". Now thats not a terrible thing as you can always flip the workpiece and use the pilot to go 1/4" more into it and still have a pretty clean hole. They work really well, something a hole saw would never touch.

/ annular cutters: a better way to drill big holes in thick steel #62  
I bought one of these, only issue is the max depth for the chips to clear is about 1/4". Now thats not a terrible thing as you can always flip the workpiece and use the pilot to go 1/4" more into it and still have a pretty clean hole. They work really well, something a hole saw would never touch.

That sounds like the CT5

/ annular cutters: a better way to drill big holes in thick steel #63  
I just checked out your link and see the Hougen arbor for 1/2" Jacobs chucks
that you mentioned. What did it cost you?

Back when I started this thread, I wanted only a Morse Taper arbor, but I can
see that an arbor for a portable drill can be very handy. I did not see one
when I was looking and when I bought my Champion bits. With a large
hand drill, you can go very slow, and really flood the area (if outside) with
coolant. My geared head 1/2" hand drill is a wrist-buster.

If a Jacobs chuck arbor costs anywhere near what I paid for my MT3 arbor,
I would consider getting one.

I just completed a bunch more 3/4-7/8" holes in 1/2" plate. Sweet.

Sorry it took so long for me to get back on this. I have not followed the thread and just looked at it by chance this evening.

The adapter was about $45 IIRC, but its been a few months and I could be off by 10 bucks or so.

/ annular cutters: a better way to drill big holes in thick steel #66  
Just to give an idea of price on the RotaCut sets, I paid $85 for the small set and $185 for the large set back in 2012. I don't think they had the master set out then.

/ annular cutters: a better way to drill big holes in thick steel #67  
For those interested I also started using annular cutters last year. I bought a set of cutters at the AG show and use them in my table top mill/drill. While it would have been possible to put the cutter in an end mill holder I ended up buying a Jancy arbor from Amazon. It is an R8 arbor with coolant capability. It works real slick and the steel cuts like butter.

/ annular cutters: a better way to drill big holes in thick steel
It is an R8 arbor with coolant capability. It works real slick and the steel cuts like
butter.

If you use them with the center coolant, they are even more impressive than the way I use them (above). AND
you can run them at fairly high RPM.