Winch cable question

/ Winch cable question #1  

easygo

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I bought a "used" #9000 capacity Mile Marker hydraulic winch for later fabricating onto a logging winch. The winch has no cable (it has never been used or installed). I went to a local place that sells cable and they have 5/16 aircraft cable but no specific winch cable. The aircraft cable would cost me about $30 but I don't want to buy it until I find out it is fine. The guy at the shop said that there is such thing as specific winch cable and I should look for that. I found cable online for about $80 plus shipping.

Is there such thing? What is the difference between regular cable and winch cable?
Thanks

/ Winch cable question #2  
It's been along time but, I once had a 8000 # milemarker winch & it came with 3/8'' aircraft cable

/ Winch cable question #3  
Is there such thing? What is the difference between regular cable and winch cable?
Thanks

Winch cable is usually a larger number of smaller strands giving more flexibility, and less tendency to stay bent. That's my understanding anyway.

Chilly

/ Winch cable question #5  
It will be more expensive, how ever amsteel syn cable is far better then steel. Used a lot of it on atv's and have alot of faith in it. With it being soft, it doesnt bend and no slivers. Stronger then cable and if you do break it, tie a knot in it and keep going. Also you can get more amsteel on your drum, of the same size rope then you can that of cable.

The single nicest thing about amsteel is if it breaks it falls straight to the ground. There is no cable to snap back and seriously hurt someone.

One other thing, all of the winches i have, 4 now, all have aircraft cable on them. Have worked well so far.

/ Winch cable question #6  
My steel mainline is collecting rust on the ground:D I now log with Blue line.
Blue rope is far superior in ergonomics and is very tough. I pull Doug Fir 36 foot logs all day with it. The extra price is well worth it in the long run.

/ Winch cable question #7  
I got some cable that will fit your winch if you like (send me a PM). I switched to synthetic rope.

/ Winch cable question
Thank you guys for the good info. That blue line sure looks great. I have seen it on very large commercial ships as dock line. Often used as extra line before foul weather hits. The price is sure on the steep side but I will have to give that some serious thought. I only payed $250 for the winch itself and I have most all the steel I will use for the project. Have to buy pressure reducing valve, hoses, cable and I'm ready to go. The actual build will happen sometime during the Summer. I only cut about 4 cords of firewood per year and some saw logs on the occasional bases. So I don't really need top of the line expensive stuff. You could call a cheap bastard and you would be right on the money.