Need some brain power better than mine

/ Need some brain power better than mine #1  

jjmarotz

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3720 cab
I am building some roller harrows to hang off the back of my S-tine cultivator that I built from a 15' 3-row tow behind model that I got from my dad after he took what he needed off of it.

Anywho..... I have the shaft, roller circles, and 1.5" angle iron I am going to use. Now my ?.... How do I figure out how to put 5 angle iron press pcs onto a 9" circle and have equal distance between the cross bars? I can easily finger out 4 bars, or 8 bars, but am thinking 5 would be the perfect fit..... I think;) My brain and math just don't work together so swell:eek:

Will put up pics of the entire build once I am done with this project. Was a good winter project to take up my time.

Thanks brainiacks:D:D

Attachments

• IMG_0481.JPG
    IMG_0481.JPG
    952.5 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0482.jpg
    IMG_0482.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0483.JPG
    IMG_0483.JPG
    968.8 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0484.JPG
    IMG_0484.JPG
    595.7 KB · Views: 124
   / Need some brain power better than mine #2  
If I'm understanding your question correctly...your looking for the proper angle? 4 bars=90 degrees... 8 bars=45 degrees... 5 bars=72 degrees.

Mark the disks as they are in your first pic, but with 72 degrees between marks.

/ Need some brain power better than mine
Ya in the 1st pic I marked out for 4 and 8 cross bars. But they will be too close and not allow the roller to "clean out" if dirt clods and rocks get lodged into them. I am thinking that 4 bars may not be enough to bust up the clods.

As for the degrees you state..... well..... that is where my melon shuts down:eek::eek: I see where you are getting at but I can't wrap my brain around it;)

/ Need some brain power better than mine #4  
How did you establish the lines for 45 & 90 degrees?

/ Need some brain power better than mine #5  
The angular spacing is 360/5 or 72 degrees. The distance between where the leading edges hit is (9xpi)/5 or 5.655 inches. That's 5 and 21/32 inches as you wrap a tape around the arc of the outer edge.

/ Need some brain power better than mine #6  
My first thought for establishing the angles would be to go to an art supply store and pick up about an 8" clear plastic protractor. Mark a line from center to an edge, lay the protractor on the line with the center on the center of the disk, and mark out 72 degrees. Draw that line and repeat.

Just eyeballed things and used a framing square. Each point in pic 1 measure equal 3.5" between points on the outside edge.

The angular spacing is 360/5 or 72 degrees. The distance between where the leading edges hit is (9xpi)/5 or 5.655 inches. That's 5 and 21/32 inches as you wrap a tape around the arc of the outer edge.

What the ****?? That just made me feel a tad dumber than when I started:confused2: lol
So you are saying is.... wrap the tape around the outside of the circle and mark every 5 and 21/32" inch and all 5 bars will be equally spaced???

/ Need some brain power better than mine #9  
My first thought for establishing the angles would be to go to an art supply store and pick up about an 8" clear plastic protractor. Mark a line from center to an edge, lay the protractor on the line with the center on the center of the disk, and mark out 72 degrees. Draw that line and repeat.

Doing the math, you could measure along the edge from the first lin for 5-21/32" for the next line, etc. I used 3.1415 for pi with the formula pi*d for circumference. answer=28.2735" circumference around the disk (28-9/32"). Divide by 5=5.6547" (5-21/32") between marks around the edge.

Clear as mud?

/ Need some brain power better than mine #10  

if you don't have a flexible tape handy to wrap around the circle, another option is to take one point at the outside of the circle, and measure from that point to another point along the outside that is about 5 1/4~5 5/16 away. repeat this from each new point and you should find yourself back at the start point. same result, just a different way of measuring. the math behind it is as follows:

chord length = 2*R*sin(A/2) = 2*4.5*sin(72/2) = 9*sin(36) = 5.29 inches

where:
A is the angle (360 degrees in a circle, divided into 5 equal 72 degree segments)
R is the radius (9" diameter = 4.5" radius)
chord length is the straight line distance between two points along the outside of the circle