landscape rake tine distance

/ landscape rake tine distance #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
I am in the midst of designing a very custom landscape rake.. What I wanted to know is what distance everyone is putting their tines at.

The purpose of this is not for land leveling, but for picking up limbs and debris. Also, this is going to be attached to a long arm, much like pond cleaners. I was thinking 5 or 6" spacing. I know other rakes are made at 1.5" spacing (factory rakes) but I am concerned that too tight splines will pick up too much debris, and for blackberry removal, not release the vines. Any thoughts?

/ landscape rake tine distance #2  
Hey ran into the same problem. Picked up to much stuff. Ended up removing every other one; it worked out fine and now picks up mostly sticks and other larger stuff. Worked out so well tree company cut some trees for my mom and I cleaned up while they cut. Next time I saw them they had a rake on their tractor. Good luck with your project.:thumbsup:

/ landscape rake tine distance #4  
I had thought about building a new rake & saw this, Rake tine holder". I guess 2" must also be a common spacing.

My current rake (a no-name commercially made one) is also spaced at 2"

/ landscape rake tine distance #5  
I to like the idea of removing every other tine for appropriate tasks. You can easily revert back.

The purpose of my response is to share a very helpful Tip stumbled upon while trying something else. Leave the tines loosely bolted so they have some free movement. When the spacing is close, the movement helps prevent vines and limbs from binding between the tines. I can bump the 3pt lift to free most debris, rarely do I need to dismount to clean the tines.

/ landscape rake tine distance #6  
I have the rake tine holders from Agri Supply also. I only have every other one on. If the ground is the least bit damp, ( with all the tines on) they are like a scrape blade . I also like my tines to have side movement.

/ landscape rake tine distance
I see that side to side movement may be handy with tines.

So, that said... Should all the tines move together (ie have a strap that ties them all together) or just let them free float?

/ landscape rake tine distance #8  
hi 'woodlandfarms',

It is more of a rocking (twisting) motion that occurs with loosely mounted tines. I guess the design will depend on the tines you use, the one or the two bolt type tine. I made a post June 16, 2008 with pictures trying to show what I did with a 6' KK rake, I achieved self aligning tines to the rake angle and the rocking (twisting) motion occurred, which really is the trick stopping the debris binding in the tines.

GuglioLS Landscape Rake Build thread should have some very helpful information.

/ landscape rake tine distance
I am reading all these posts. The rake I am building is front mounted, like on a bobcat. I am not building any ability to angle the blade. Maybe a mistake but it is beyond my ability, and with a front mounted rake I am not sure of the need.

My intent was to use 4X4 square tubing as the mount. There is a reason for this (and not using angle iron like most) as I intend to add wings to the rake (take a 4 ft rake and make it 8 ft wide).

I see how you tied your tines together. I am just not sure if it will mean that much to me with the device being front mounted.

So confused.

/ landscape rake tine distance #10  
So confused.

I understand that! It looks like your project is pretty much uncharted, a google search gave very little info about their use on Skid Steers / front mounted implements. However York manufactures 6', 7' and 8' model widths for Skid Steers, they are pricey (3K + or -). Your idea should work OK, never tried it so I cannot give any solid response. The wing additions to give width choice is nice but will add to the fabrication complexity. York has some great ideas implemented that a DIY'er could use. May I suggest you try Skid Steer Forums for more feedback from people that have actually used one in the field. At the York price, I would lean more towards a Rake/Grapple for your front lift.

Another thing I found very helpful with my 3pt hitch model, is that I now use Chain as my Top Link. By not being rigid I get better results on uneven ground not needing to use gauge wheels for leveling (gravel driveway maintenance). I guess most 3pt user comments apply to front use, but that is only my guess.
SSF.jpg

Last edited: