Welder plus generator

/ Welder plus generator #1  

MikeBurr

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC33D
I'm starting to look into getting a welder for small jobs. The only problem is that I only have access to 110 service. To put in 220 would cost too much. Now I also could use a generator for those stormy winter days. Last year we went without power for over 4 days. Are the welders with generators good deals for both operations, welding and emergency power, or should I look at a generator that has both 110 and 220 outputs and a seperate welder.

/ Welder plus generator #2  
Sort of depends on what your standby power requirement is.
I just got a Miller that is capable of 8000 watts of AC production, but the delivery is a strange configuration of 2 plugs each capable of delivering 15 amps.
I haven't really gotten into researching it too much because I won't be depending on the Miller for backup power, I already have a generator for that purpose.
I'm not sure how Lincoln Weldpower units are set up for power delivery.

/ Welder plus generator #3  
Some years back I purchased a Coleman 5500 watt generator. We went without power too often and too long. Was always pleased with that purchase. Last year I needed to do some welding where household power wasn't available. My son's welder is an old Lincoln that does it all. Plugged that into the Coleman and away we welded!!!!! I think you would do fine as long as your generator can supply the amps the welder needs.

/ Welder plus generator #4  
Mike
You can purchase a combination welder/generator but my two cents worth says to buy them separately. Determine your welding needs separately from your power needs and purchase two units to provide each. A combination unit overall cost will probably exceed the cost of separate units. In addition you have one engine running both capabilities in a combo unit. Down the road maintenance could be a major problem $$$$.

Randy

/ Welder plus generator #5  
Miller and Lincoln both have welder generators. I used a Miller Legend for many years. What I loved about it was the generator cycle is at a low rpm and the weld is at a high one.

Many was the hour spent at idle making electricity for the tools while fabricating in the middle of a pasture I'd rented. I sold the Legend for fifteen hundred with about the same amount of hours on it. I'd only paid twenty two for it new about ten years earlier.

I now have a Miller Trailblazer on the truck. I'd guess the hours generating electricity and welding are about equal. After all, I fabricate which involves cutting, grinding, and welding.

Both machines have 220 volt circuits of about thirty amps and four fifteen amp 110 volt circuits.

A big advantage of the welder--generator package is the resell value retention. When it comes time to unload it you are not getting rid of a lightly used generator. You're selling a family jewel./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif