196.7 KB · Views: 1,116
  • Box Scraper 3.JPG
    Box Scraper 3.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 1,869
  • Box Scraper 4.JPG
    Box Scraper 4.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 727
   / Home made Box Scraper #2  
Very nice little unit. May I ask why you chose to build yourself and what your total build cost were?

Chris

/ Home made Box Scraper #4  
Looks right off showroom floor..nice work. :)

/ Home made Box Scraper #5  
Nicely Done!!! What did it cost you?
Jim

/ Home made Box Scraper #6  
Great job! Have you given it a test run yet?

/ Home made Box Scraper #7  
Looks GREAT! Those rippers/scarifiers look like they can go lower than manufactured units. I'm certain that you will find a box blade to be very, very useful.

/ Home made Box Scraper
As for the cost... I got most of the materials for free... so I couldn't tell you what it actually would cost...

Before I painted it, I used it to re-grade the driveway and to take the sod off for the new garden. On the garden job, the rippers wer six inches down and it worked great. They held up well. The actual blades and the little triangular piece at the bottom of the rippers is made from AR plate. They will tend to "work harden" with use.

/ Home made Box Scraper #9  
Nice work. I can't see the bottom of the 4 in box tubing, but I would recommend you beef up the area behind the ripper, on the bottom, so when you grab a big rock, the ripper does not rip out some of the 4 in box steel. You have enough shank there that it could happen.

/ Home made Box Scraper
Nice work. I can't see the bottom of the 4 in box tubing, but I would recommend you beef up the area behind the ripper, on the bottom, so when you grab a big rock, the ripper does not rip out some of the 4 in box steel. You have enough shank there that it could happen.

I considered doing just that from the beginning. The 4" box tubing is 1/4 wall and the slots are milled in so they are radiused on the ends. This helps to prevent tear out. So far the ripper shanks just indented a little where they hit against the radius.

If tear out becomes an issue, I'll reinforce it with a piece of 3/4 x 1 across the back of the rippers below the box tubing.

(The better commercial ones are 1/4" wall)