My "swiss army" trailer build.

/ My "swiss army" trailer build. #1  

bw_wis

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubuta B2630
One of my coworkers started calling my trailer project the "Swiss Army Trailer." So I'll use it.

After about 1-1//2 yrs of think and researching I just started to build my new trailer. Tried to find someone to build it for me but couldn't find a builder I liked or for the right price. So, I'm going to build it myself. Ironically I going to do most the work using my 8.5'x20' cargo trailer for a shop (In my hotel parking lot).

Needs: I want a trailer can be fork or crane loaded. Easy to tie down load. Capable of carrying long loads of lumber or steel. Can haul and dump dirt, rock, etc. Small enough to use in tight space and easy store (possibly on its side against the garage wall).

Specs: 7.5'x5' over deck, 4kish load capacity, dump bed, tongue that removes for storage and extends for long loads, walls etc removable for a completely clear and flat deck.

I have two new Dexter 2200# torflex axles with brakes on all wheels. For wheels I bought Carlilse 20.5x8-10. The frame and bed I got 2x4x11ga. box tube. For the tongue I'm planning to use 2x4x11ga doubled up to make a 4x4 9.5' long and using a 25" piece of 4.5x4.5x1/4 for a receiver.

I'll start posting pics in a day or two. I welcome any advice, especially on the safety front.

/ My "swiss army" trailer build. #2  
My first thought is that with 2200# axles the weight of the trailer will make your load capacity less than 4K#'s.

MarkV

/ My "swiss army" trailer build.
My first thought is that with 2200# axles the weight of the trailer will make your load capacity less than 4K#'s.

True. Capacity will less than 4k. I thought long and hard about this. Almost went 3500lb axles. But tires don.t fit over the brakes. Up grade the tires and deck height goes up. Also felt if used heavier axles I'd want make the whole thing heavier thus getting away from whole concept of a small and light trailer. My weight est is 600lbs for bulk of it. Plus 100-200lbs for the smaller items. I except 3600-3800 capacity.

/ My "swiss army" trailer build. #4  
Small enough to use in tight space and easy store (possibly on its side against the garage wall).

Make sure you eat your Wheaties before you give it a try.
600# is a lot of wieght to mess with and can get away from you.

Small enough to use in tight space and easy store (possibly on its side against the garage wall).

Make sure you eat your Wheaties before you give it a try.
600# is a lot of wieght to mess with and can get away from you.

If I store it on its side I'll be build a custom caster dollies. Use the tractor for the heavy lifting.

I work as a roadie on Broadway tours. I've got years on experience moving very heavy castered objects. 600-700lbs doesn't even qualify as a heavy box at work.

/ My "swiss army" trailer build. #6  
Double axle trailers are tough to manhandle, a trailer with a single 3500 lb axle with a boggie wheel on the tongue jack is easy to move around in the driveway. My driveway is newer paved. I have to watch my double axle,that I don't make any turns when putting it into its parking position or the sideways torque that remains on the tires will move and dent the pavement.

/ My "swiss army" trailer build. #7  
I'll start posting pics in a day or two. I welcome any advice, especially on the safety front.

Advice on hauling dirt:

It's very heavy, and does everything it can to bury you and your equipment.

Either use a small box that won't hold more than your weight capacity, or use
strict discipline to not overload it. I've seen many dump trailers destroyed
because the user gradually loaded more and more because "it handled the
last load fine". I know it sounds obvious, but it sneaks up on you.

Good luck, looking forward to the pictures.

Yesterday I had hoped to make some head way. Wanted to get through the cut list (sick of tripping over the long pieces), but my dry cut blade decided it had enough. I found a really awesome tool shop that had a blade. And had drool over everything for a while. Next stop, as long I was out, was the welding shop to get more C25. Left with the gas and a Hyperthem45 plasma! By the time I got home it was time to go to work.

It's very heavy, and does everything it can to bury you and your equipment.

Either use a small box that won't hold more than your weight capacity, or use
strict discipline to not overload it. I've seen many dump trailers destroyed
because the user gradually loaded more and more because "it handled the
last load fine". I know it sounds obvious, but it sneaks up on you.

Thanks for the tip. Planning on about 21" hinged walls on all sides. Final height will estimated loaded deck height less an inch or two. Total volume about 2.75 cu/yd. I will be painting load marks on the inside walls.
Double axle trailers are tough to manhandle, a trailer with a single 3500 lb axle with a boggie wheel on the tongue jack is easy to move around in the driveway. My driveway is newer paved. I have to watch my double axle,that I don't make any turns when putting it into its parking position or the sideways torque that remains on the tires will move and dent the pavement.
I hear that. My 10k lives in the side yard. I've dug my lawn up pretty good a few times:(. Almost mastered the art of not destroying the yard when I park it.

Attachments

• DSC_6696.JPG
    DSC_6696.JPG
    990.8 KB · Views: 897
  • DSC_6699.JPG
    DSC_6699.JPG
    894.4 KB · Views: 1,178
  • DSC_6706.JPG
    DSC_6706.JPG
    984.1 KB · Views: 955
  • DSC_6712.JPG
    DSC_6712.JPG
    833.4 KB · Views: 754
Oops, forgot to explain the picks. The black trailer is usually my Kubota's home, but right now it is my workshop. The piece on the table is will be the tongue. Two pieces of box tube that will be welded together to make the tongue.

/ My "swiss army" trailer build. #10  
A lot of licencing in many states has breaks at 3000 and 6000 lbs. As do many vehicles.

Building it in between those 2 makes you pay the bigger licence fee, but get the lesser gross weight.

A dump trailer takes more frame & the hydraulic setup, so will have less net weight available.

2.75 yards of sand will weigh around 6300 lbs.

Just some random thoughts, sounds like a neat project & hope you keep us updated.

I lust for a flat deck trailer, I understand about not wanting to get too high....

--->Paul