What to do with a rusted out Subaru???

/ What to do with a rusted out Subaru??? #1  

shinnlinger

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L2850
Neighbor wants to give me a good running but rusted out 4x4 automatic legacy sedan for no $. Mother bought it new in '92. Anyway, I am thinking I should get it to make into a gatoresque vehicle or something, but hey group brainstorm.......

/ What to do with a rusted out Subaru??? #2  
I'd check on its value as scrap. Might find a use if the engine runs. :)

/ What to do with a rusted out Subaru??? #3  
Despite what they tell you in the advertising, a Subaru will break your heart sooner or later.

/ What to do with a rusted out Subaru??? #4  
When I was a kid someone gave my brother a Renault Dauphine for free. We made a frame out of heavy steel pipe and bolted the power train and front suspension to it. It was a fun project and we ran the cr@p out of it for one whole summer until something major broke. Then we buried it. :laughing:

/ What to do with a rusted out Subaru??? #5  
If you have lots of extra time and a little extra money on your hands, go ahead and play with it. Otherwise, sell it on craigslist for a few hundred or scrap it. Take the money and buy yourself a little toy you may not have bought otherwise. I guess you could make a pick-up truck out of it with a reciprocating saw and then beat the **** out of it, but I would not invest any serious time into it. Just my opinion.
-Jay

/ What to do with a rusted out Subaru??? #6  
You could sell raffle tickets and let everyone take a sledgehammer to it. Call it "stress relief". I would scrap it, been there with hand me down vehicles (have one sitting next to my driveway now) and they become money pits fast.

/ What to do with a rusted out Subaru??? #7  
Ive been in a simailar situation a few times, but with tractor implements. I got an Agric AL50 rototiller for free since it sustained a great amout of fire damage along with a JohnDeere 4100. I got the bucket, grill guard, and ROPS off the Deere as well. If I would not have got them, they would have been scrapped, now they are restored and ready for some work. I sold the bucket, but the tiller is a great accsessory for my tractor. I also recently got a free rusted out bent up Johndeere auger and just finished compleatly restoring it. Basically what im trying to say, it may not look like something useful but if you do some work to it it can be well worth it and you will be happy with what you've done with it. In my case, I got 2 more attachments to put to work and my neighbor that gave me all this stuff is always welcome to use any of these attachments any time he needs and they look brand new too!:thumbsup:

Attachments

• 6-10-10 (auger restoration part 3) 009.JPG
    6-10-10 (auger restoration part 3) 009.JPG
    911.6 KB · Views: 295
  • Bucket fix 1 010.jpg
    Bucket fix 1 010.jpg
    1,001.7 KB · Views: 267
   / What to do with a rusted out Subaru??? #8  
Aw man, you guys are no fun. The best vehicles I've ever had were the ones I knew I wasn't going to keep. Think of it as an all-wheel drive go-cart, or a winter beater. That AWD really comes in handy. You could still drive it until it fell apart and scrap it then.

I was going to have a sawzall party with one of my old cars. BYOB: Bring Your Own Blade. Sit around, have a few drinks, bust out the saw-zall and make it a convertable. Also had a buddy who had a crappy car and before he scrapped it he would charge $1 a hit with a baseball bat. Or is this just a bit too redneck for you guys? :D

/ What to do with a rusted out Subaru??? #9  
what kind of acreage do you have? What do you do that might be fun to have a really different utility vehicle? What are your ideas and we might can elaborate on them. Obviously he wants you to do more with it than just scrap it out. It would be cool to show mom what cool idea you used her baby for to keep it in use.

If you live in the city with no playground, not many ideas. If you live on a 400 acre ranch/farm, I am sure we can come up with something useful.

Also, your mechanical ability and access to shop and tools also plays a big part.

Cut it up and build some kind of AWD tractor.

/ What to do with a rusted out Subaru???
I have 40 acres and if I was going to scrap it, I would just tell my neighbor to to do that and keep the $ as I would feel like a smuck taking it off their hands and making a quick buck with it.

I could use some kind of utility vehicle as I have some livestock and burn wood and have a sawmill, but my Kubota and cub cadet seems to do all I need, but I keep thinking there has to be some purpose for utility vehicles and this thing is an automatic 4x4. I have a reasonably decent shop and I could weld a pipe frame or what not, but It probably isn't worth the hassle and my wife would probably castrate me so I may end up passing on this "opportunity"

JUst seeing if any one had any ideas to inspire me with.....