Building sickle bar mower

/ Building sickle bar mower #1  

powerstroke444e

Veteran Member
Tractor
mostly orange
I am building a sickle bar mower that I can pull behind my ATV. Reason being I can't get the kubota zero turn on the slopes or close enough with out geting stuck or going swiming.

I started with a sickle bar mower that was mounted on old AgCo lawn mower 48". Made a pin hitch attachment that has own engine atv tires torsion axles and winch to raise and lower the bar.

I will post photo's of the build as it 90% done but I am trying to figure out the clutch. I have a 6hp Kohler with 3/4" shaft and I am thinking of adding a go-cart clutch, to control the engage the mower. Any reason that won't work?

I will get photo's up tommorow.

/ Building sickle bar mower #2  
A go cart centrifugal clutch should work as long as you can gear down the output enough to run the sicklebar. If that doesnt work, a belt and a tensioner is pretty basic to build.

Aaron Z

/ Building sickle bar mower #3  
I think I would like the old belt and tensioner better as the go cart clutch runs off of centrifugal force. you could even rig a trip lever that can have a rope to pull in case you need to disengage in a quick pull. After you get to using the mower you might learn in thin stuff the belt and less RPM's cuts real nice. not running motor wide open as in go cart style.

By going with belts/pulleys, you can gear it down by using a bigger pully in the mower end.

/ Building sickle bar mower
After doing the math I think I will go with the belt set up as it will more room to play with the pulley sizes after looking only Kart clutch is only avalible in 3.5" which I would like a 1.5 or 2" to keep gearing correct @ sickle.

Has anyone else ever built one of these? I am thinking I can't be the 1st to come up with this idea. I looked at using a hydraulic power one that is built by Samri? But cost by time I added motor and pump seemed fairly high priced option. I have quite a bit in this one but if it saves 1/2 of my weedeating time it will be worth it.

/ Building sickle bar mower #5  
I'm thinking that you will want a clutch AND a belt. The clutch so the mower does not move at idle. Use the belt to get some reduction (and absorb shock) to get from engine speed (maybe 3600 rpm) down to what sickle mowers usually see (540 rpm.)

/ Building sickle bar mower
Been busy with work, both insurance and constrution. So the project has not moved much. I got the thing all welded and set up a couple weeks ago, I just purchased the pulleys to get the rpm @ full throttle down to 750 rpm which is what the bar had when it was new. Going to use idler pull to for the clutch. I have photo's on my phone but don't know how to load from phone to here I will get them up later this week.

/ Building sickle bar mower #7  
Been busy with work, both insurance and constrution. So the project has not moved much. I got the thing all welded and set up a couple weeks ago, I just purchased the pulleys to get the rpm @ full throttle down to 750 rpm which is what the bar had when it was new. Going to use idler pull to for the clutch. I have photo's on my phone but don't know how to load from phone to here I will get them up later this week.

I would design the tensioner such a way that when you lift the bar it will disengage the belt.

/ Building sickle bar mower #8  
you may consider an electric clutch like is used on lawn tractors today, one switch on the ATV and it is on or off in an instant, no pulleys or having the thing catch when not in engagement, (I built a saw mill and use a pulley clutch system and wished to this day I would have put an electric clutch on the system), may still,

/ Building sickle bar mower #9  
you may consider an electric clutch like is used on lawn tractors today, one switch on the ATV and it is on or off in an instant, no pulleys or having the thing catch when not in engagement, (I built a saw mill and use a pulley clutch system and wished to this day I would have put an electric clutch on the system), may still,

That is definitely a better idea.
Grasshopper Electric Clutch - Grass Hopper Electric PTO Clutch
Those can transfer about 25 HP or more

/ Building sickle bar mower #10  
please send some picutres of the completed unit!