Lime Spreader

/ Lime Spreader #1  

llewellynsd

Tractor
Sath S-370
Has anyone tackled the project of building a lime spreader? I remember seeing plans somewhere on the internet for a lime spreader that was for the back of an old farm truck.

I don't think it would be difficult except for finding and auger type aggitator that would keep the lime from clooging in the bottom of the hopper.

Throw some ideas at me guys. I'm tired of trying to spread the pulverized lime over an acre of ground with a flat mouth shovel. Plus my boots and jeans are all white when I'm done.

If someone has built one and is able to get some photos to me that would be great. All positive comments and negative ones for that matter are appreciated.

Thanks and God Bless, Shawn

/ Lime Spreader #2  
Shawn,

I am toying with the same problem for about 50 acers. I would like to do this in small sections to spread out the pain.
The simple way is to hire it out. But I am a cheap skate so would love to find some way to do it myself.

Anybody ever try a 3-point broadcast spreader? I assume the problem is clogging?

Fred

/ Lime Spreader #3  
3pt spreader works fine, there is a aggetator to keep it from clogging

/ Lime Spreader
Fred,
I did a little more searching and found the plans that I remembered. Here is the site if you want to take a look at it. I'm not real crazy about the wheel devise to aggitate the lime but if it works I guess I'll live with it. http://www.bright.net/~fwo/Lime.html
target=new>http://www.bright.net/~fwo/Lime.html</a>

I like the idea of the spreader that drop a line of lime as opposed to a braodcast spreader. Just seems as if a broadcast spreaded could get real messy especially if the wind is not in your favor.

Shawn

/ Lime Spreader #6  
<font color=red>Did you use ag lime or pelleted lime?

I've spread both in my 3pt spreader. The peleted like does better as it will cover a wider swath, but the powerded hydrated like will broadcast.

My spreader has a ver small agitator, with a wire cotter pin on it. I attatched a homade agitator 'helper' made out of a coat hanger to provide further agitation.. worked fine.

Some of hte larger spreaders have an auger agitator that looks like would even work better.

Soundguy