Duck house

/ Duck house #1  

kilo

Tractor
Kioti CK35
Well the woman and I want to start raising some Moscovy Ducks at the house.
Muscovy Ducks are Easy to Raise and they Control Flies / Radio Scripts / Farm Radio International

They will need a shelter so I decided that adding on to the back of the barn would be the "cheapest" way to get them some space. In a few years we plan to build a better barn for horses as well as a spot for the ducks (If they still are around ;D).

The "house" will be 10X40ft and with 6 females laying up to 3 clutches of 8-16 egggs a year that will be a lot of ducklings to house before they get turned into supper. I read that an adult Muscovy needs about 5 Sqft of indoor space so I figured the 400 sqft should be decent for the parents and a couple broods. The shelter is more needed in the winter than summer anyway.

First Step:
Remove the Jeep hardtop!!

IMG00071.jpg

Couple straps and I drove out from under the hardtop! Ahh much better... now back to the Duck house.

Measured and cut my lumber for the outside wall. Then laid it out to get a feel for the layout.

IMG00072.jpg

Decided since I had the extra pressure treated that I should dig the posts down into the ground for better structure.

Thanks to a friend I had a nice PTO Post hole digger at my disposal!

IMG00073.jpg

First test hole worked Awesome!
(Foot for reference, look at my safety footwear!)
IMG00075.jpg

The first real hole went much much worse... I was all rock where I needed my corner post...

IMG00076.jpg

After a hour of digging I pulled out TWO of these!!

IMG00078.jpg

Broke the shear pin at the bottom of my very last hole! FEL made easy work of removing the auger.

IMG00077.jpg

Finished filling in the posts, and was just nailing in the top rail to help square things up. It's not the straightest wall I've ever built but the barn it's attaching too isn't straight either so it should match ;D!

IMG00080.jpg

Now I just need to start running the roof joists and locate some "cheap" metal roofing.