ATV Dump Trailer

/ ATV Dump Trailer #1  

Newfiestang50

Bronze Member
I have been thinking about building or buying a dump trailer that I can tow with my ATV. I will be using this trailer to move earth (topsoil & general fill) or what ever else comes about around the house when using my Kubota BX25.

I would like a trailer that I can dump automatically from the seat of my ATV but the ones I have available here in Canada are very expensive (> $2500CDN). For this reason I am leaning more towards building. I have found a complete frame from costco (link below) and was wondering if some of the DIY trailer experts could give me an opinion on the actuator I have linked below and if it would work to give me enough lift to dump all contents. I know this is a question not easily answered but just some general concerns would be great.

Trailer link ------> Costco - Linamar® 4 ft. x 4 ft. Galvanized-steel Trailer

Actuator lnik -----> https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=5-1751&catname=electric

/ ATV Dump Trailer #2  
You would have too little dump angle on that Costco trailer.

What weight of material are you going to try to dump?

I have a Gator with a dump box (and similar linear actuator). It pivots at the rear, and a load of gravel is too heavy to lift to dump. So I built a longer temporary plywood box to set in it that somewhat balances the weight over the pivot point, and it works fine. But the pivot point is higher off the ground too.

Might be able to retrofit the Costco trailer, but think building a frame from scratch with large diam wheels would be better. Good luck. Don't want to discourage you from getting it done.

/ ATV Dump Trailer #3  
You say the frame is 48 x 48 in, but will the bed be larger, and how high are the sides going to be, and what kind of load do you expect to lift. That linear actuator should work, but is not the fastest.

You could use an outboard motor 12V hyd tilt pump for the hydraulics source, and a hyd cylinder. They are very small I am using one on a scraper blade to raise and lower the unit. Just flip a toggle switch for up and down.

/ ATV Dump Trailer #4  
heres an idea...u said u live in canada, every once in awhile crappy tire puts there 12v scissor jack on sale for about 40 bucks, thats what i have under my atv dump trailer, if i rmbr right when its folded right up it is rated at 450lbs as it opens it gains its power to its rated 1.5 ton.... and thats how i did it

/ ATV Dump Trailer
You would have too little dump angle on that Costco trailer.

What weight of material are you going to try to dump?

I have a Gator with a dump box (and similar linear actuator). It pivots at the rear, and a load of gravel is too heavy to lift to dump. So I built a longer temporary plywood box to set in it that somewhat balances the weight over the pivot point, and it works fine. But the pivot point is higher off the ground too.

Might be able to retrofit the Costco trailer, but think building a frame from scratch with large diam wheels would be better. Good luck. Don't want to discourage you from getting it done.

Not sure what the weight of soil is but I figured since the trailer is only 4x4 I wouldn't be able to get enough of any material in there to stall a 2000lb actuator (unless its over rated). With that said, I only plan on making the dump bed 4x4 as well with 14" sides. Also, I plan on adding bigger ATV wheels and tires as well for better weight distribution.

/ ATV Dump Trailer
You say the frame is 48 x 48 in, but will the bed be larger, and how high are the sides going to be, and what kind of load do you expect to lift. That linear actuator should work, but is not the fastest.

You could use an outboard motor 12V hyd tilt pump for the hydraulics source, and a hyd cylinder. They are very small I am using one on a scraper blade to raise and lower the unit. Just flip a toggle switch for up and down.

JJ, could you possibly provide me with a website that sells such a unit so I can take a look.

/ ATV Dump Trailer #7  
what size atv are you pulling this trailer with? while focusing on what your trailer will dump be carefull not to overlook what you can safely tow dirt is very heavy and can get heavier with any moisture

/ ATV Dump Trailer
what size atv are you pulling this trailer with? while focusing on what your trailer will dump be carefull not to overlook what you can safely tow dirt is very heavy and can get heavier with any moisture

My ATV is a 660 Grizzly. I dont plan on going crazy with the loads but if I can avoid getting off the ATV 100 times a day it would be great. Also, that is why I was interested in the 4x4 frame from Costco because it would kind of limit my quantities, assuming I dont build it with 24" sides......which I am not.

/ ATV Dump Trailer #9  
This works for me. I don't mind getting off to manually use the winch, a small electric one would do the trick nicely in the place of the boat winch.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 6,622
   / ATV Dump Trailer #10  
Here is a trailer I fabricated. I had the wheels and the V axle supports from an old trailer. It is 4x6 and about 18" (???) sides. Since it sits up high I get a good dump angle. The box is well balanced and I can raise the load fairly easy. The box is lined with exterior plywood. Since it is sheltered when not used, it will last a good time. The tailgate slides vertically on the back or I could just leave it off. If anything, I could have used a bit more tongue weight. I use my Honda FourTrax as the tow vehicle.

Talk about useful, it is. I have added folding tool racks on the side to hold the equipment I may need. It is manual lift but it works for me.

Attachments

• Trailer.JPG
    Trailer.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 12,666
  • Trailer 1.JPG
    Trailer 1.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 7,802